1. Can my high school sophomore/freshman in high school take a Marshall University course?
CCHS courses are primarily for high school juniors and seniors.  High school freshman and sophomores are technically able to take them, but admission requirements are much stricter for them.  Because these are University courses and the rigor is much higher, caution is advised with students lower than the junior year.  The grades earned in a Marshall University course DO NOT go away.  Unfortunately, students can and have started college on probation if they do not do well.

2. How many Marshall University courses can my student take?
The answer to that question depends upon several issues.  High school course scheduling can be difficult, and as such, usually prohibits taking over two courses a semester.

Another issue is a personal one: finances.  Because there are no options for financial aid while students are still in high school, family financial obligations become paramount.

3. Are there options for paying the bursar fee?
Because there are no governmental avenues for financial aid for students still in high school, the options are limited:

  • In Cabell County, free and reduced lunch students do not pay for the Marshall University courses offered in the high schools.
  • In Wayne County, parents can make payments towards the fee with a deadline in place for total payment.
  • In Webster County, the Board of Education pays the fee for all of the students taking the Marshall courses at Webster County High School.


4. Are the courses transferable?

The courses do transfer.  For the most part, the great majority of the courses are on the WV Core Course Transfer List which insures their transferability.  If a student or parent wishes to check on the transferability of a course, he/she can call the Registrar’s Office of the university they wish to attend.  Caution is urged if one calls an individual academic department at a university; they may not know if a course transfers or how it transfers.