Only current Promise recipients can receive a Summer Promise award. A summer award counts as a semester of utilization toward the maximum number of available semesters. A student seeking a bachelor’s degree is eligible to receive a Promise Scholarship for no more than eight semesters of a four-year degree program.
A student seeking an associate degree is eligible to receive a Promise Scholarship for no more than four total semesters of a two-year degree program. (Students transitioning from two-year degree program to a four-year degree program must achieve renewal requirements after their second year to continue scholarship eligibility.)
Summer Promise Application
The Summer Promise application opens March 15 and has a May 15 priority deadline. Applications may be submitted after May 15 until the final June 15 deadline. No applications will be accepted after June 15.
Those who apply by May 15 and are eligible will be notified in June. Those who apply after the priority deadline and are eligible will be notified in July.
To be eligible for a summer award, a student must be academically eligible for scholarship continuation at the end of the spring semester preceding the summer that assistance is requested.
- Any summer award under this provision is dependent upon the availability of funds as determined by the Policy Commission.
- Students, other than those graduating at the end of the summer or fall term of enrollment, must be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours.
- The hours requirement can be waived for students willing to utilize a semester of eligibility towards their maximum number of semesters of eligibility. You may submit a waiver request when filing the summer application or by submitting a written request to our office by email to Promise@wvhepc.edu.
To be eligible for a summer award a student must submit an application by the deadline. Summer awards will be made in early June for eligible students who meet the May 15 priority deadline; students with tuition and fees due before June may be responsible for payment. Contact your institution for further information concerning your payment.
Summer Promise eligibility cannot be determined until June, once final grades are determined for the preceding spring term and your home institution notifies our office of your academic eligibility. Your eligibility will also depend on whether you are currently registered for the required credits during the summer term(s). You should register for courses for the summer term(s) by May 15 the priority deadline.
Summer awards are dependent upon the availability of funding. Should there be limited funding for summer assistance, priority for summer awards will be based on class rank, with the highest priority given to students closest to graduation.
If you need to make changes to a summer Promise application that has already been submitted or if you would like to cancel or decline your summer award, please contact our office at 304-558-4618.
If you are a current Promise recipient applying to utilize a summer Promise award but did not utilize a Promise award in the spring term, you need to contact our office regarding a deferment before a summer Promise award can be processed.
Summer Promise Timeline
March 15 – Summer Promise Application becomes available.
May 15 – Summer Promise Application priority deadline.
- Eligibility determined for those students who met the May 15 priority deadline.
- Student award notifications sent by email.
- Payments sent to institutions for eligible applicants meeting the May 15 priority deadline.
June 15 – Final summer Promise Application Deadline. No applications will be accepted after June 15.
- Eligibility determined for those students who applied after the priority deadline.
- Payments sent to institutions for eligible applicants who missed the priority deadline.