Dietetics is the science and art of applying the principles of food and nutrition to health. It’s a vital, growing profession with many career possibilities. The Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) at Marshall University leads to a Bachelor of Science degree and prepares students to work in clinical nutrition, community health, and food service management positions. The program provides students with a well-rounded education that includes both classroom and “hands-on” experience. Classes are small and the faculty are committed to ensuring the success of students. The DPD is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics and meets the academic standards to qualify students for a dietetic internship (DI). Students must complete both an undergraduate DPD and a post baccalaureate supervised practice experience to be eligible to take the national Registered Dietitian examination.
The Department of Dietetics strives to deliver the highest quality dietetic education utilizing all available resources to meet the needs of this rural region for dietetics professionals. The DPD’s mission is to provide the depth and breadth of food and nutrition knowledge and skills that prepare students to enter a supervised practice program in dietetics.
Program Goals and Outcome Objectives
Graduates will be academically prepared to complete a supervised practice program and successfully pass the registration exam.
Objectives to Support Goal 1
- 1: At least 80 % of students complete program requirements within 6 years (150% of planned program length).
- 2: At least 70 percent of program graduates apply for admission to a supervised practice program prior to or within 12 months of graduation.
- 3: Of program graduates who apply to a supervised practice program, at least 80% are admitted within 12 months of graduation.
- 4: At least 80% of graduates who enter supervised practice will pass registration exam (CDR credentialing exam) within one year of first attempt.
- 5: Supervised practice program directors will rate 80% of DPD graduates satisfactory or higher regarding overall academic preparation for supervised practice.
- 6: At least 80% of Marshall DPD graduates will respond strongly agree or agree that the program prepared them for supervised practice.
Graduates will develop the necessary knowledge and critical thinking skills needed for graduate-level coursework.
Objectives to Support Goal 2
- 1.: Supervised practice program directors OR graduate program directors will rate 80% of DPD graduates as satisfactory or higher regarding overall academic preparation for graduate-level coursework
- 2: At least 80 percent of DPD graduates will respond strongly agree or agree that the program prepared them for graduate-level education.
- 3: At least 80% of DPD graduates will respond strongly agree or agree that the program helped them develop the knowledge and critical thinking skills needed for graduate-level education.
The Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) at Marshall University is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). ACEND exists to serve the public by establishing and enforcing eligibility requirements and accreditation standards that ensure the quality and continued improvement of nutrition and dietetics education programs. Program outcome data are available upon request. Registration exam requirements are set by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR).
Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000
Chicago, IL 60606-6995
312.899.0040 ext. 5400
Why Dietetics At Marshall University?
The undergraduate program in dietetics will prepare you for the Dietetic Internship and registration examination. We offer a nurturing environment with small class sizes, hands-on learning experiences, affordable tuition and community connections. For more information, contact:
Department of Dietetics
250 Pullman Center
905 3rd Avenue
One John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755-9521