The following standards are used to make admission decisions:
- Completion of a Didactic Program in Dietetics. Admitted interns are required to provide a Verification Statement and transcript showing final degree confirmation prior to beginning the internship.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) is preferred.
- A minimum score of 285 on the verbal and quantitative portions of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). The exam must have been completed within five years of internship application.
- If applicable, a minimum TOEFL score of 80 for graduate study is required of all international students. For more information on international student requirements, visit http://www.marshall.edu/graduate/admissions/international-admission/.
- Documented volunteer or work experience in foodservice and/or nutrition care is preferred.
If you do not meet all of the minimum or preferred requirements, but believe you would be a good candidate for Marshall’s Dietetic Internship, you are encouraged to apply. All applications will be considered.
The Distance Dietetic Internship location includes supervised practice completed at facilities that the intern secures anywhere within the United States.
The intern is responsible for identifying the preceptors and facilities in the area where he or she wishes to work. (For example, an intern living in Seattle, Washington may complete all rotations in the Seattle area.)
All preceptors and practice facilities must be identified by the applicant prior to submitting the application. Marshall University instructors do not assist with this process.
- For information regarding the selection of preceptors and facilities, click here.
- To plan your internship rotations, fill out the Rotation Schedule Application Form (below) with all planned practices you expect to complete during your internship. This MUST be in this exact Excel format and must include preceptors and practice sites/facilities for every week of your internship. Incomplete rotation schedules will not be accepted. (For each facility please enter DAILY number of beds/clients served. i.e. average daily census). Once you have your rotation schedule completed, save it as Last Name, First Name – Month Year Schedule.xlsx (Example: Doe, John – August 2018 Schedule.xlsx) and submit your rotation schedule to Rick Rogers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**NOTE: This Rotation Schedule Application Form MUST be submitted during the application process.
Marshall University Distance Dietetic Internship does not discriminate against applicants from any geographic region of the USA. However, some states do have statutes and laws that make it difficult, perhaps impossible, for Marshall University to reach a legal distance education agreement with facilities in the state. In addition, clinical agreements with health care facilities in certain states may not be possible due to extreme measures enacted by state organizations to limit learning and career opportunities for qualified dietetics individuals. In order for Marshall University to reach a legal distance education agreement with a state, the state has to be an approved member of SARA. Please be aware that it may be extremely difficult to successfully secure supervised practice rotations in areas that are not approved members of SARA. Without practice sites or legal distance education agreements between Marshall University and the facility, there is a strong likelihood that you may not complete the internship.
To determine if your state is a member of SARA, please use the following link:
**NOTE: For anyone who applies for the Distance Dietetic Internship in the vicinity of Marshall University, the following facilities are reserved for Campus-Based students ONLY. No Distance Dietetic Intern will be granted permission to complete any rotations at these facilities.
The Marshall University Dietetic Internship participates in the online Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS) process. DICAS will be available after December 2, 2019 for the Spring 2020 match; more information may be found at http://portal.dicas.org/. The online application must be submitted by 11:59 PM Central Standard Time on February 15, 2020. In addition to a complete application, submission of transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended, letters of recommendation, and a verification or intent to complete statement must be included. It is recommended that you begin the online application process well in advance of the February deadline to allow time for request, submission, and receipt of these items. The fee to use DICAS is $45 for the first application and $20 for each additional application.
Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to:
PO Box 9118
Watertown, MA 02472
When completing the application, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an email address) for each reference. This will trigger an email message to that person requesting completion of the electronic reference form which will be sent directly to DICAS. Marshall University requires three references, and prefers a minimum of two from Dietetics faculty.
As part of the centralized application, students will be asked to complete a personal statement in 1,000 words or less. Questions to be addressed include:
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- What are some experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career?
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
- Why are you interested in Marshall’s Dietetic Internship?
Matching with D&D Digital
Computer matching is a mandatory component of the application process. To participate in matching, applicants should complete the online registration and select internship priority choices by 11:59 PM Central Standard Time on February 15, 2020. Please note this is in addition to DICAS.
Online registration is completed through D&D Digital at http://www.dnddigital.com/. There is a $55.00 fee for computer matching registration. The applicant will find additional information regarding computer matching at the aforementioned website or by requesting information from the following:
D&D Digital, Inc.
304 Main Street, Suite 301
Ames, IA 50010
Please note: Marshall University has two Dietetic Internships. One is onsite/Huntington, WV based and the other is a distance track. Be careful when selecting the internship code to ensure you are prioritizing correctly. The codes are as follows:
Onsite/Huntington-based DI: 489
Distance-track DI: 783
Additional Application Requirements
All applicants must submit a copy of their GRE score to the program director, postmarked no later than February 15, 2020. This can be a personal copy of scores. If the applicant matches with Marshall’s internship in April, he or she will then be instructed to send official GRE scores to the University’s Graduate Admissions Office. Marshall University’s GRE Code is 5396.
GRE will not send a copy directly to the program coordinator; therefore, it is the applicant’s responsibility to scan a copy of the results and email to email@example.com or mail the copy to the following address:
Tim Bender, MS, RDN, LD
Distance Dietetic Internship Coordinator/Department of Dietetics
One John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755
Financial aid is available for qualifying students. After match day, if an applicant is admitted to the distance dietetic internship he or she will receive instructions regarding formal application to Marshall University’s graduate school and for financial aid.
Distance Dietetic Internship Program Application Fee
There is a $25.00 fee for applicants each time they apply to the Distance Dietetics Internship Program. If an applicant is not accepted one year and decides to apply the next, he or she would start the process over and pay another application fee. The application fee is a set cost in the amount of $25.00. Payment is due by February 15 of each application year. Payments may be submitted at https://epay.marshall.edu/secure/cgi/dietetics.cgi.
Questions pertaining to the Distance Dietetic Internship should be directed to:
Tim Bender MS, RDN, LD
Distance Dietetic Internship Coordinator
One John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755