We would like to thank each of you for your willingness to serve as a preceptor for Marshall University’s on-site or distance internship program. You are helping prepare our next generation of professionals and we are extremely grateful for your time and participation.
We hope you find this Preceptor Handbook helpful. This handbook is a means of providing beneficial information that will assist you in your role as a preceptor, but please know that we are always available to answer any questions you may have. In addition to reviewing this handbook, please complete our preceptor orientation course.
Program preceptors must be trained on strategies to recognize biases in self and others and reduce instances of microaggressions and discrimination. To meet this requirement, preceptors should complete the following training: Combating Unconscious Bias and Preventing Microaggressions: A Professional Duty FNCE 2019 Presentation. This presentation providers the preceptor with the required training, as well as 1.5 CEU’s.
Additional resources for diversity, equity, and inclusion can be found here.
Below you will find links to video resources to help you in becoming a successful preceptor.
- Marshall University Dietetic Internship Preceptor Perspectives (YouTube)
- Marshall University Dietetic Internship Student Perspectives (YouTube)
- Eat Right Pro; Become A Preceptor- Secure the Future for Registered Dietitian Nutritionists
- Using Questions as a Teaching Strategy
- Setting the Stage for Success