The Department of Mathematics history is documented in two separate parts; the first ranges from 1869 to 1975, the second ranges from 1975 to 2005. Also displayed below is a listing of former Department Chairs and a listing of former Department Secretaries.
The History of the Department of Mathematics from 1975 to 2005 (MS Word) has been collated by Dr. Evelyn Pupplo-Cody.
The History of the Department of Mathematics (PDF) by Elizabeth Hines Czompo, dated May 5th 1976, has a detailed account of the history of the Department of Mathematics from 1869 to 1975.
Edith Clarke (1883–1959) taught at Marshall University before her renowned career as an engineer.
Former Department Chairs
In 1969 the first Administrative Assistant was hired for the Department of Mathematics.
- Mrs. Sylvia Sears was the first Secretary to work in the Department of Mathematics. She began in 1969 and worked until at least 1975.
- Mrs. Pauline Weiler was Secretary in 1978 and at least until 1985.
- Mrs. June Adkins was Secretary in 1989 until c. 1995.
- Mrs. Kitty Kelly-Smoot was the Program Assistant from c. 1995 until c. 2002.
- Ms. Stacy Good has been the Program Assistant from 2002 until the present.