There are two (2) separate applications:
- Application for Admission to the Master of Arts in Mathematics program
- Admissions Only applications do not require GRE scores.
- Application for a Graduate Assistantship (Optional)
- Graduate Assistantship applications require GRE scores to be sent to the Graduate Admissions Office.
Application for Admission
To apply to the Mathematics Graduate program, applicants must follow the process described at the following page(s):
Apply for Admission through the Marshall University Graduate College
Apply for International Admission through the Marshall University Graduate College
Applicants to the Mathematics Graduate program must follow the Graduate College admissions process described in the:
- Applicants must have a GPA of at least 2.5 on a scale of 4 from the bachelor’s degree granting institution. International applicants should contact the Office of International Admissions to inquire about possible substitute documentation.
- Applicants may optionally report scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Applicants who choose to send scores should send them directly to the Graduate Admissions office.
- General Record Examination (GRE) scores are required for applications for the Mathematics Graduate Assistantship.
To ensure full consideration for admission:
- Domestic applicants must ensure that their application materials are received by the Graduate Admissions office no later than August 1 for admission in the fall, and no later than December 1 for admission in the spring.
- International applicants must ensure that their application materials are received by the Graduate Admissions office no later than June 15, for admission in the fall, and no later than October 15, for admission in the spring.
- Applicants who apply for a Graduate Assistantship should follow the earlier dates set in the section:
Timeframe for Awarding Graduate Assistantships.
The Mathematics program may admit applicants conditionally, for one term, pending receipt of required credentials. Applicants whose transcripts do not show coursework equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in mathematics may be admitted conditionally and required to take additional foundational courses, which may include undergraduate courses. Applicants who are conditionally admitted are not eligible to receive a Graduate Assistantship, but become eligible when fully admitted.
The Mathematics program may admit applicants provisionally, for one term, when the undergraduate Grade Point Average does not meet the requirement for admission.