Dr. Shawn Schulenberg received his Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of California, Riverside, in 2010, the same year coming to Marshall. He was the 2012 Junior Recipient of the Marshall University Distinguished Artists and Scholars Award (DASA). He currently serves as Chair of the Marshall University Faculty Senate. In the past he has served as Chair of the Department of Political Science, Chair of the COLA Promotion & Tenure Committee, Director of Sexuality Studies Program at Marshall University, Chair of the LGBT Caucus of the American Political Science Association, Co-Chair of the Sexuality Studies Section in the Latin American Studies Association, Track Chair of the Politics and Sexualities Track in the Latin American Studies Association, Chair of the Politics and Sexuality Section of the Western Political Science Association, and Faculty-in-Residence in the First Year Residential Halls at Marshall University.
Office Hours: Virtual or face-to-face meetings by appointment. Schedule via Microsoft Bookings.
- PSC 105 – Fundamentals of Politics
- PSC 207 – Introduction to Comparative Politics
- PSC 280 – Introduction to Sexuality Studies
- PSC 409/509 – Western Democratic Politics
- PSC 411/511 – Latin American Politics
- PSC 412/512 – International Political Economy
- PSC 416/516 – Politics of Development
- PSC 444/544 – Dictatorship and Democracy
- PSC 480/580 – Politics of Gender and Sexuality
- PSC 480/580 – Civil-Military Relations
- PSC 480/580 – Politics of Economic Crises
- PSC 600 – Research Design
- PSC 614 – Comparative Politics Seminar
- INT 499 – International Affairs Capstone
Dr. Schulenberg’s research agenda looks at issues related to sexuality and LGBT politics in Latin America, with a focus on the counties of Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Panama, and more recently in the United States. He has a forthcoming book with NYU Press for The Politics of Perverts (co-authored with Charles Anthony Smith and Connor Strobel). He has published in the Journal of Human Rights (2012) and New Political Science (2013) as well as served as a co-editor and contributor to Same-Sex Marriage in the Americas (2010, Lexington Books) and Same-Sex Partnership Recognition in Latin America (2013, Lexington Books). Finally, he also contributes a section on “Sexuality Orientation and Gender Identity” for the textbook Politics of Latin America: The Power Game (2020, 7th edition, Oxford University Press).
Dr. Schulenberg has presented his research at meetings of the Latin American Studies Association, American Political Science Association, the Midwest Political Science Association, Western Political Science Association, as well as other regional conferences. Moreover, he has given invited presentations of his research at the University of Houston, St. John’s University (MN), and the Equality Forum in Philadelphia. In the past, he has served as a blind referee for the academic journals Political Science Quarterly, Politics & Policy, Social Policy, Journal of Human Rights, and New Political Science.
- Charles Anthony Smith, Shawn Schulenberg, and Connor Strobel. (forthcoming) 2023. The Politics of Perverts. New York: NYU Press. (Co-author with Charles Anthony Smith and Connor Strobel)
- LGBT rights in Chile: On the Verge of a Gay-Rights Revolution? Sexuality, Gender & Policy 2: 97– 119. . 2019. “
- Charles Anthony Smith, Shawn Schulenberg, and Eric A. Baldwin. 2017 “The ‘B’ Isn’t Silent: Bisexual Communities and Political Activism,” LGBTQ Politics: A Critical Reader. New York: NYU Press, pp. 89-109. (Chapter 6)
- Jason Pierceson, Adriana Crocker, and Shawn Schulenberg, eds. 2013. Same-Sex Relationship Recognition in Latin America: Promise and Resistance. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- Shawn Schulenberg. Chapter 2: “The Lavender Tide? LGBT Rights and the Latin American Left Today”
- Shawn Schulenberg. Chapter 5: “Same-Sex Partnership Rights in Central America: The Case of Panama”
- Shawn Schulenberg. 2013. “Essentially Contested Subjects: Some Ontological and Epistemological Considerations When Studying Homosexuals and Terrorists,” New Political Science 35(3): 449-62.
- Republished in: Nancy S. Love and Mark Mattern, eds. 2014. Studying Politics Today: Critical Approaches to Political Science. Routledge. (Chapter 10)
- Shawn Schulenberg. 2012. “The Construction and Enactment of Same-Sex Marriage in Argentina,” Journal of Human Rights 11(1): 106-25.
- Republished in: Smith, Charles Anthony, ed. 2013. Globalizing Human Rights: Emerging Issues and Approaches. Routledge. (Chapter 8)
- Jason Pierceson, Adriana Crocker, and Shawn Schulenberg, eds. 2010. Same-Sex Marriage in the Americas. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- Shawn Schulenberg. “Policy Stability without Policy: The Battle over Same-Sex Partnership Recognition in Brazil.” (Chapter 5)