The Residual (Walk-In) ACT is similar to National ACT in terms of format and scoring. The examination takes about 3 hours and consists of test questions that measure your knowledge of English, Mathematics, Reading, and Science. Test preparation resources can be found on the National ACT website at ACT Student Test Prep.
Individuals taking the Residual (Walk-In) ACT at Marshall University must be enrolled, have been admitted, or have submitted an application to Marshall University. Residual (Walk-In) ACT test scores are only valid at Marshall University and St. Mary’s Medical Center cooperative education programs in Medical Imaging, Nursing, and Respiratory Care.
Individuals cannot take the test for NCAA eligibility.
Marshall University does NOT provide extended time accommodations to the Residual (Walk-In) ACT exam. Students seeking accommodations should register for the National ACT.
Upcoming Test Dates
- Friday, July 17, 2020 – Please note that Friday, July 17 is the testing date for the residual (walk-in) ACT. Marshall also hosts the national ACT testing on Saturday, July 18. If you have an admission ticket for the national ACT testing for July 18, you should go to the national test. The national test is held in Smith Hall. If you have questions regarding your national ACT test registration, please contact ACT Customer Service at 319-337-1270. National ACT registration fees are not transferable for the Walk-in ACT. If you have questions about the walk-in ACT, please contact one of the numbers below.
- Friday, August 14, 2020
Check-in begins at 7:30 a.m. and testing begins promptly at 8:00 a.m. Students who arrive late to the testing room will NOT be admitted – NO EXCEPTIONS. Testing takes place at Marshall University, One John Marshall Drive, Huntington, WV 25755 at Corbly Hall. Test-takers should enter through the 5th Avenue doors and exit through the campus side doors, following all directional signage.
- You may register for the Residual (Walk-In) ACT by clicking the date you would like to test and completing the registration form.
- Pre-Registration is encouraged and seating is limited. It is recommended that you review the test schedule prior to registering.
- Registration closes at 4:00 p.m. the day before the test if there are seats still available.
- You will receive a confirmation after submitting the form.
Important Covid-19 Health and Safety Information
- Social distancing within the test center is expected and will be strictly enforced.
- Pursuant to Governor Justice’s July 6, 2020 order, all test-takers will be expected to bring and to wear protective face coverings.
- Only test-takers will be permitted in the Corbly Hall lobby.
- If you feel sick or have cold-like symptoms, you should not come to the test.
- Hand sanitizer will be available.
- Thermal temperature checks will be conducted. Test-takers with a registered temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit will not be admitted.
- Testing Fee: $60.00
- Payment Methods: Exact Cash, Check or Money Order
- Please make all checks and money orders payable to Marshall University.
- Payment is due on the day of the exam and a copy of payment receipt will be presented upon payment. Testing Fees are non-refundable.
What to Bring
- Photo ID (Driver’s License, Student ID, Passport, etc.)
- Soft-Led #2 Pencils (Mechanical Pencils are prohibited)
- Face covering and personal bottle of hand sanitizer (optional)
- Acceptable Calculator (optional)
- Calculators are only permitted on the Mathematics test.
- Most basic four-function, scientific, and graphing calculators are acceptable.
- For more calculator information, as well as a list of prohibited calculators visit actstudent.org.
Parking will be available in the Sixth Avenue Parking Garage. The directions to the parking garage are as follows:
- From I-64, take Exit 11, Hal Greer Blvd.
- From I-64 West turn RIGHT onto Hal Greer Blvd.
- From I-64 East turn LEFT onto Hal Greer Blvd.
- Follow Hal Greer Blvd. until you reach 6th Ave.
- Turn right onto 6th Ave., the parking garage will be on your left.
- As you walk out of the parking garage head toward 5th Ave. and the Memorial Student Center will be just across 5th Avenue.
Following the completion of the test, test scores are sent to the MU Admissions Office. Test scores will be available to the student within two business days after the exam date. Scores will ONLY be released to the individual who tested via phone at 304-696-2610.
Examinees may take the ACT no more than 12 times total. This restriction applies even if your scores from a test date are canceled by you or by ACT. If the examinee violates this restriction, ACT will automatically cancel the scores and no refund will be issued by ACT or Marshall University. An examinee must wait a minimum of 60 days between retests. This policy includes the Residual (Walk-In) ACT and the National test.
If you have any questions about the Residual (Walk-In) ACT, please contact Rodney Sanders or Victoria Giuffrida using the information below.
Rodney Sanders-ACT Coordinator
Victoria Giuffrida- ACT Co-Coordinator