Escaping Bad Grades

There is a lot of help out there. If you need help with classes you can get a lot of it at Marshall. There are many services to help you do better in classes. Below you will find some suggestions to get help.

Why Are You Behind?

In order to maintain a “C” average, you must maintain quality points that average a 2.0. Each time you get a “C” you maintain a 2.0 average. When you get below a “C” you get one deficiency point per letter grade below a “C” for each hour of credit. If you get a “D” in a three hour class, you would receive three deficiency points. If you get a grade above a “C” in a course, you get an extra quality point for each letter above a “C” for each credit. If you get a “B” in a three hour course you will receive three extra quality points.

When you get a grade below a “C,” you must counter the deficiency points by getting a grade in a course which is equivalent to the grade you received below the “C.” For a “D,” you will need to get a “B” in a course with the same number of hours to counter the deficiency points. In other words, for each hour of “D” you will need an hour of “B” to cancel the deficiency points. For each hour of “F,” you will need an hour of “A” to cancel out the deficiency points.

However, there is another way to cancel your deficiencies or improve your quality points.

The D/F Repeat Policy

For any class in which you earn a “D” or “F” during the first attempted 60 hours of classes, you may repeat the class before you graduate and the new grade, whether higher or lower, will replace the original grade. For example, if you retake an “F” and get a “C” the second time you will get rid of the deficiency points for that F grade. Repeating an “F” grade and getting a “C” in the class is the equivalent of taking another class and getting an “A” in it. Repeating a “D” grade and getting a “C” is the equivalent of taking another class and getting a “B” to get rid of the deficiencies. If you get a grade higher than a “C” when repeating a class, you get surplus quality points.

To repeat a “D” or “F”, you must take the same course (some substitutions are available for discontinued classes, consult your Advisor). The grade you get the second time, except for a “W,” will replace the grade for you GPA calculation. The original grade will remain on you transcript but will be marked as a repeat. When repeating a D or F you must fill out a form which you can get in the College of Science Office, Science Building 270. The second grade becomes the permanent grade and cannot be subject to the D/F repeat policy again. However, you can retake the class and the new grade will be included in your GPA without replacing the repeat grade.

Your Professor

The person who knows the most about your course and its requirements is your professor. If you find yourself lost or not understanding, ask your professor in class when you get lost or confused or immediately after class when your questions are fresh. If you cannot speak with the professor at either of these times, check the professor’s office hours and go by and see him/her.

Faculty Members’ Office Hours can be found on your syllabi, the faculty members’ doors or on their Web Pages. You can connect to departmental Web pages from the College of Science home page. Professors are glad to discuss class with you. If they are busy, they will make an appointment to help you. Please keep this in mind. The only stupid question is one not asked. If you don’t know or understand something ask. By asking questions you help the professor know whether or not you understand, and you often help other students who are too shy to ask a question. When you don’t understand and you ask questions you get answers. When you don’t understand and you don’t ask questions, you get bad grades.

Your Advisors

If you need advice about studying or classes, see your Advisors. Each College of Science student is assigned two Advisors when they declare a major. If you do not know your Advisors, stop and see them. If you don’t know who your Advisors are, go to the College of Science office, Science Building 270, and they will tell you who you Advisors are, or go to myMU and it will tell you there..

Your Advisors can be especially helpful in planning your academic career and in scheduling classes. Freshmen and Sophomores must see their Advisor to schedule classes.

Contact Us

CIT Department
Morrow Library 116
One John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755