Planning for Graduation

Graduation can be a daunting goal. Like most worthwhile goals, getting there takes careful planning. In order to help you reach your goal, the College of Science and the Department of Computer and Information Technology offers individualized advising for each student. These basic pointers will help you get started:

  • Every CIT student has academic advisors advisors available to him/her
    If you don’t know who your advisors are, you can find out by logging on to myMU and looking under the “Brite Student” tab.
  • See your academic advisor early
    Once the schedule for an upcoming semester becomes available, your academic advisor can help you plan which courses you should take in order to move towards graduation. Fill out an advising sheet for your major/concentration before an advising session in order to be prepared and get the best advice.
  • Be weary of unofficial advice
    If “someone” tells you something about your requirements to graduate who is not an advisor, be sure to verify that information with your assigned advisor.

Advising Holds

If you are a Freshman or Sophomore (less than 58 credit hours) or on probation, you must see your advisor before registering each semester. The advisor will need to remove your advisor hold before you can register for courses.

Quick Hints

  • See your advisor!
  • You often need reference letters to go to graduate school or get a job. Your advisor can be one of these references if they know you.
  • Some courses are only offered once per year or once every 2-4 years. See your advisor to find out when courses are offered.
  • You can’t always depend on courses being offered in the summer. Very few CIT courses are offered during the summer terms.
  • Look at your advising sheets for more hints and information. Print one and keep it current.

Contact Us

CSEE Department
WAEC 3101
One John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755