Seizing ‘a great opportunity’

Freshman Samuel Simpson grateful to be part of the first class of Marshall for All students and work toward a debt-free bachelor’s degree
Share
Self-starter Samuel Simpson of Ironton brings positivity and commitment to campus as part of the first class of Marshall for All students.

Samuel Simpson isn’t afraid of hard work.

We’re talking about a 19-year-old who, when he was in seventh grade, started a lawn-mowing business with his dad that at one point got up to 42 jobs, and is still going today.

This summer, before starting as a freshman at Marshall University, he also had a firewood business going, worked at Guy’s Floor Covering in Ironton, and started a soccer-coaching business, offering coaching to younger players.

“That was super exciting – I got to bring my enthusiasm to the younger kids,” he said.

Thanks to the new Marshall for All program, he’s now bringing that enthusiasm — and his incredible work ethic — to Marshall University.

Simpson remembers getting the letter in the mail, offering him a chance to participate in the Marshall for All pilot program that would allow him attend Marshall and graduate debt-free.

“It’s important to graduate debt-free so I have no student loans and it’s not a burden on me after college,” he said. “I’d be more likely to go to graduate school if I graduated debt-free. That’s absolutely a goal of mine. I could start saving or investing toward my future – a home, a car, something that’s very important to me.”- Samuel Simpson

“I thought it was an application, but it was actually an acceptance letter,” he said. “I read it again, and realized it was asking if I wanted to do this or not, so I emailed back immediately, thrilled about it.”

If he puts in his own work and any financial contributions he can provide through scholarships, aid or family contributions, Marshall will help him get a bachelor’s degree without any student loans. And this is a student who knows the value of that opportunity and will put in the work.

“It’s important to graduate debt-free so I have no student loans and it’s not a burden on me after college,” he said. “I’d be more likely to go to graduate school if I graduated debt-free. That’s absolutely a goal of mine. I could start saving or investing toward my future – a home, a car, something that’s very important to me.”

“I love the college life. I love my classes. I love all the resources they have on campus – the library and East Hall – there are study rooms in there. It’s going great so far. And the Rec – I love the Rec. There are three stories of whatever I want to do every night.”- Samuel Simpson

He’s already showing up at 7:30 a.m. for his work-study shifts at Drinko Library, where he helps his fellow students with the printers or tech questions. He doesn’t even mind being there that early — it helps him get up and get going quicker, he said.

A graduate of Rock Hill High School in Ironton, Ohio, Simpson has spent much of his younger years playing soccer, as well as running track and cross country. Now he’s parlaying that knowledge and love of sports into a degree in athletic training, and he’s already loving his classes.

“I’m in medical terminology, anatomy and health science. I’m really enjoying it,” he said. “I really like Anatomy so far. I’m super into it.”

Freshman year is going great so far, Simpson said. He’s commuting, but he is on campus from morning until night, enjoying the Rec Center, and hanging out and meeting people at the Student Center.

“I love the college life,” he said. “I love my classes. I love all the resources they have on campus – the library and East Hall – there are study rooms in there. It’s going great so far. And the Rec – I love the Rec. There are three stories of whatever I want to do every night. There’s a rock climbing wall – I’ve really enjoyed that. I’ve never really done that before.”

To everyone who makes Marshall for All possible, he offers a huge “thank you.”

“It’s just a great opportunity,” he said. “I’m super thankful to be a part of it.”