Recent changes to the Marshall Budget model requires a process for departments to request additional funding for unforeseen or special circumstances as well as to access unencumbered Balance Forwards. Budget transfers, routine movement of Approved Sources and associated Use budgets, will be processed as normal budget transfers by submitting a Budget Adjustment Request Form.
Requests for additional Source funds and increases to Use budgets are to be submitted with a MU Funding Request Form. Each request will be initially reviewed by the Budget Office and may be processed immediately based on the nature and amount of the request. Typically, vacancy savings and requests for $2,000 or less will be reviewed, approved and processed by the Budget Office. Most requests that exceed $2,000 will be forwarded for approval by the Senior Leadership Team. Adequate supporting documentation justifying the request and outlining specifically what is being requested must accompany the Additional Funding Request. All requests that lack proper documentation/justification will be rejected.
This process is in place to allow for funding of unforeseen circumstances, opportunities that arise outside of the budget development period, additional funding for normal operating expenditures and requests for temporary labor needs created by regular position (1) turnover or vacancies. This process is intended to supplement the one-time priority list that is developed during the regular budget development cycle.
Requests for additional funding must be made through your Dean and Vice President. The MU Funding Request Form then must be submitted by the appropriate Vice President via e-mail to email@example.com for consideration.
Vacancy Savings Funding Requests
- Utilize the form on the "Vacancy Savings" tab of the MU Funding Request file. (Exhibit A)
- Requests for funding to cover up to 90 days for a recently vacated regular position(1) will be verified and approved by the Budget Office.
- Requests for funding to cover over 90 days, or repeated request for a recently vacated regular position(1) will be evaluated by the Senior Leadership Team and designated as approved, denied or hold pending additional information.
Additional Funding Requests
- Utilize the form on the "Additional Funding" tab of the MU Funding Request file. (Exhibit B)
- Requests of $2,000 or less against unencumbered balance forward funds will be verified and approved by the Budget Office.
- Requests in excess of $2,000 against unencumbered balance forward funds will be evaluated by Senior Leadership Team and designated as approved, denied or hold pending additional information.
- All requests seeking additional central funding(2) will be evaluated by the Senior Leadership Team and designated as approved, denied or hold pending additional information.
[table id=26 /]
(1) Approved Faculty, Non-classified or Classified positions with a position # of 00XXXX and benefits eligible.
(2)Contingency funds designated by central administration located in centrally managed organizations.