email Prof. Walz
ESRI Authorized Training Program Instructor:
Introduction to ArcGIS I (2003-2004)
Working with ArcGIS Spatial Analyst (since 2004)
Ph.D., Marine, Estuarine, and Environmental Sciences (MEES), University of Maryland, 2002. Dissertation Title: “Associations Between Maryland’s Amphibians and Habitat Parameters at Local and Landscape Scales”
M.S., Bioresource Engineering, Oregon State University, 1993.
Special Studies in Oceanography, Oregon State University (1990-1991).
M.S. equivalent, Biology/Limnology, Universitaet Konstanz, Germany, 1994.
B.S. equivalent, Biology, Universitaet Konstanz, Germany, 1988.
I was hired in 2003 as the department’s physical geographer. My research interests include landscape ecology, environmental geography and issues of climate change and I am heavily dependent on Geographic Information System (GIS) and remote sensing tools.
- Physical Geography (Critical Thinking course)
- Global Environmental Issues (Critical Thinking, International course)
- Principles of GIS
- Intermediate GIS – Raster Analysis
- Geographic Field Research
- for more teaching experience see my CV
- Czajkowski, K. P., S. N. Goward, T. Mulhern, S. J. Goetz, A. Walz, D. Shirey, S. Stadler, S. Prince, and R. O. Dubayah, 2004, Recovery of environmental variables from thermal remote sensing. In: Thermal Remote Sensing in Land Surface Processes, Ed. J. Luvall and D. Quattrochi, eds., CRC Press, 11-32.
- Hall, L. W. Jr., R. P. Morgan II, E. S. Perry, and A. Waltz (a.k.a. Walz), 2002. Development of a provisional physical habitat index for Maryland freshwater streams. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 77, 265-291.
- Czajkowski, K. P., A. Walz, S. N. Goward and D. Shirey, 2002, Thermal remote sensing of near surface water vapor, Remote Sensing of Environment, 79(2-3), 253-265.
- Czajkowski, K. P., S. N. Goward, S. Stadler, and A. Walz, 2000, Thermal remote sensing of near surface environmental variables: application over the Oklahoma Mesonet, Professional Geographer, 52(2), 345-357.
- For non-peer reviewed publications see my CV