Advanced Placement Human Geography is among the top ten AP subject exams, with 200,000 students taking the exam every year, and thousands of appropriately educated teachers are needed to meet this demand. Marshall provides educators with the content expertise in the discipline that can’t be garnered from a webinar or summer institute. You learn human geography from subject matter experts with doctoral degrees in geography in a structured asynchronous online environment that allows you to keep work and family commitments while advancing your career and education. Credits earned as part of the graduate certificate can be applied towards the 34 credits needed to earn the MA/MS in Geography.
Available 100% online and in the traditional classroom!
The Human Geography graduate certificate in is geared towards educators who are: 1) currently teaching AP human geography and would like to develop greater depth of knowledge to command the different topics covered in the course, and learn best practices from other educators who are already teaching the class; or 2) looking to teach AP human geography for the first time and would like to acquire the content matter knowledge and training to appropriately teach the course; or 3) need to earn continuing education credits necessary to renew or reinstate their license in the teaching profession.
Human Geography Graduate Certificate
Total credits required: 18
Required core course:
- GEO518 Geography for Educators – 3 credits; should be taken toward the end of the program if possible. This course helps to tie together the coursework for the Human Geography graduate certificate program, thus would function as a de facto capstone. However, GEO518 is not necessarily the final course in the program.
Choose 9-12 credits from:
- GEO505 Political Geography – 3 credits
- GEO506 Population Geography – 3 credits
- GEO510 Urban Geography or GEO618 Seminar: Urban Revitalization – 3 credits
- GEO607 Economic Geography – 3 credits
Choose 3-6 credits from:
- GEO502 Geography of Appalachia – 3 credits
- GEO504 Geography of Europe – 3 credits
- GEO508 Geography of Middle and South America – 3 credits
- GEO523 Cartography and GIS – 3 credits
- GEO623 Regions of North America – 3 credits