Programs Requiring Licensure

Programs Requiring Licensure

Current and prospective students need to be aware of the importance of their physical location while enrolled in online courses/programs or completing internship, practicum, or clinical hours required by the program in which they are enrolled.  Review if the major you have chosen has disclosed if Marshall University meets the education requirements in your home state.

As per 34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v) and 34 CFR 668.43(c), Marshall University will notify new students of location requirements within 14 days of admission to an MU program that requires a professional license to practice.

NOTE – if you are currently enrolled in an MU program that requires licensure and you move to a new location, you must notify Marshall University of this change as soon as possible. Contact us at we may provide licensure information for your new location.

Programs by College

College of Business
College of Education and Professional Development
College of Health Professions
College of Liberal Arts
Medical School
School of Pharmacy

Professional Licensure Status by State

DISCLOSURES:  Meets Requirements | Does Not Meet Requirements | Not Yet Determined

New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
South Dakota

Experiential Learning

Before we can offer out-of-state activities such as a field experience, internship, clinical, or residency, Marshall is legally mandated to follow the state’s laws and must obtain authorization to operate in that location prior to conducting the activity. Whether you are currently in a distance education or traditional face-to-face program, other states may have requirements with additional steps prior to starting a field placement.

Before you accept an assignment outside of WV, the college that houses your program will contact you with additional details about MU’s ability to place you. Some states have restrictions that will determine if you can perform your experience learning there at all. Contact our office at for more information.

Complaint Process

According to the U.S. Department of Education, public institutions participating in NC-SARA that offer distance education programs must provide current and prospective distance students with information relating to filing a complaint.

Please use the form provided:

On the form, select the distance learning status that pertains to your complaint:

  • Distance Learning State Authorization
  • Distance Learning Non-Resident (Non-WV) Professional Licensure

Note that internal MU complaints are processed through Student Affairs and the corresponding department. Please exhaust all remedies provided by the appropriate Marshall University campus office before filing an additional complaint with the regional accrediting entity and portal agency. We will do our best to assist you in any way possible!