State Authorizations for Reciprocity, Licensure, and Experiential Learning


State Authorizations and Reciprocity

All institutions offering post-secondary education through distance means who have students in other states must be sure that state laws where those students reside are being followed. Even though the university may not have a physical presence in another state, they must honor the state’s jurisdiction.

Marshall University is required to document reciprocity when offering distance learning to non-residents as per the US Department of Education, Higher Education Act of 1965, amendment §600.9(c).  To help colleges and universities in navigating this requirement, West Virginia (WV) and Marshall University (MU) belong to the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA).

Forty-nine states plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands are current members of NC-SARA. The only state that does not participate is California; however, permission to operate in that state can be obtained by contacting the California Postsecondary Education Commission.

While most states are members of NC-SARA, there are still additional requirements imposed by each relating to program licensure and experiential learning that must be followed by current and future Marshall University students. Additionally, NC-SARA membership ensures that all distance students have access to a complaint process should they encounter issues that cannot be resolved at the university level. Consult the university’s Student Complaints page for more information.

Professional Licensure

The current list of Marshall University programs that require professional licensure to practice is located on the Licensure Programs site.

If you do not live in West Virginia (WV) and plan to enter into a licensed occupation program at Marshall University, consult the License Finder provided by the CareerOneStop database for the program you are applying to listed below.

For most occupations, state-by-state requirements are provided, but it is possible that you may also need to contact the licensure agency listed to be sure that an MU endorsement will be accepted by the office in your state that oversees this occupation. If you are unable to locate information for your occupation or state prior to applying to Marshall, contact our team at for assistance.

**Once you are accepted into a Marshall program that requires licensure, the college will notify you of any specific issues relating to practicing in your home state and/or the ability to do an internship, clinical, or residency there.

Experiential Learning

Before we can offer out-of-state activities such as a field experience, internship, clinical, or residency, Marshall is legally mandated to follow the state’s laws and must obtain authorization to operate in that location prior to conducting the activity. Whether you are currently in a distance education or traditional face-to-face program, other states may have requirements with additional steps prior to starting a field placement.

Before you accept an assignment outside of WV, the college that houses your program will contact you with additional details about MU’s ability to place you. Some states have restrictions that will determine if you can perform your experience learning there at all. Contact our office at for more information.

Change of Location

If you are currently enrolled in an MU program that requires licensure and you move to a new location, you must notify Marshall University of this change as soon as possible. Let us help you identify the requirements for your new home state. We also can assist in identifying requirements for other states if you decide that you might practice in a neighboring area. Use the online form for Location Disclosures or contact us at

Complaint Process

According to the U.S. Department of Education, public institutions participating in NC-SARA that offer distance education programs must provide current and prospective distance students with information relating to filing a complaint.

Please use the form provided:

On the form, select the distance learning status that pertains to your complaint:

  • Distance Learning State Authorization
  • Distance Learning Non-Resident (Non-WV) Professional Licensure

Note that internal MU complaints are processed through Student Affairs and the corresponding department. Please exhaust all remedies provided by the appropriate Marshall University campus office before filing an additional complaint with the regional accrediting entity and portal agency.  We will do our best to assist you in any way possible!


Recent Releases