The Instructional Design Team is dedicated to supporting faculty in the creation of engaging and effective online course experiences. This page aims to provide faculty with insights into the essential aspects of andragogical support, emphasizing the importance of thoughtful course design and delivery methods.
Investing time and effort in designing and delivering effective online courses contributes to the success of both faculty and students. By embracing these principles and incorporating innovative approaches, faculty members can create a transformative online learning experience that prepares students for the challenges of the modern world.
Andragogy, the theory of adult learning, serves as the foundation for effective online course development. Recognizing the unique characteristics of adult learners, it emphasizes self-directed learning and the integration of experience into the learning process. By aligning course design and delivery with andragogical principles, faculty can create an environment that caters to the diverse needs and motivations of adult learners.
Key Considerations for Faculty
Throughout our resources, you will find a consistent focus on the following considerations in accordance with Marshall’s strategic vision:
- Engagement and Interaction:
- Foster a sense of community and collaboration through interactive elements, discussion forums, and group activities.
- Incorporate multimedia elements to appeal to various learning preferences and maintain student interest.
- Clear Learning Objectives:
- Clearly articulate learning outcomes to guide students in understanding what is expected of them.
- Align assessments, activities, and resources with these objectives to ensure a cohesive learning experience.
- Accessible Design:
- Prioritize accessibility by designing courses that accommodate diverse learning needs, including those with disabilities.
- Ensure content is available in multiple formats and compatible with assistive technologies.
- Feedback and Assessment:
- Provide timely and constructive feedback to guide students in their learning journey.
- Design assessments that not only evaluate knowledge but also promote critical thinking and real-world application.
- Technology Integration:
- Familiarize yourself with the online learning platform and utilize its features to enhance the learning experience.
- Integrate technology tools that facilitate engagement, communication, and collaboration among students.
- Adaptability and Flexibility:
- Recognize the varying backgrounds and schedules of adult learners by offering flexible learning pathways.
- Design courses that allow for personalization and adaptation to individual learning styles.
Benefits of Effective Design and Delivery
You will note that our resources take a humanistic approach to online learning. While some quality assurance standards focus solely on design, Marshall Online Learning recognizes the importance of engaging course delivery.
- Student Success:
- Enhance student engagement and satisfaction, leading to improved retention rates.
- Facilitate a positive learning experience that equips students with practical skills and knowledge.
- Faculty Professional Development:
- Encourage ongoing professional development by staying informed about best practices in online education.
- Provide opportunities for collaboration and knowledge-sharing among faculty members.
- Institutional Reputation:
- Contribute to the overall reputation of the institution by delivering high-quality online courses.
- Attract and retain a diverse student population seeking flexible and accessible learning options.
Explore the resources on this page to embark on a journey of continuous improvement in online course design and delivery.