Graduation can be a daunting goal. Like most worthwhile goals, getting there takes careful planning. In order to help you reach your goal, the College of Science and the Department of Criminal Justice, Criminology, & Forensic Sciences offers individualized advising for each student. These basic pointers will help you get started:

Every CJC student has an academic advisor assigned to him/her:

  • A professional academic advisor knows the requirements of your chosen major. These advisors keep up with university requirements, changes, and policies as well as those for the college and major. They also assist with your progress towards your degree, help secure financial aid, and know where to send you for help. This will be someone in the College of Science Office of Student Services.

If you don’t know who your advisors are, you can find out by logging on to myMU and looking under the “Student” tab. You can also go to the College of Science office in Science Building room 270 and ask.

  • See your academic advisor early
    Once the schedule for an upcoming semester becomes available, your academic advisor can help you plan which courses you should take in order to move towards graduation.
  • Be weary of unofficial advice
    If someone tells you something about your requirements to graduate who is not a CJC professor  or COS advisor, be sure to verify that information with your assigned advisor.

Declaring a Major

Declaration of your major should be done as soon as possible to insure that you are taking the required courses for graduation. To declare a major, go to the College of Science Office, Science Building 270, and fill out a Declaration of Major Form. At that time you will be assigned an advisor. You should meet with your advisor as soon as possible after declaring your major.

Advising Holds

If you are a freshman or sophomore (less than 60 credit hours) or on probation, you must see your advisor before registering each semester. The advisor will need to remove your advisor hold before you can register for courses.

Graduation Evaluations

When you become a junior (complete your 60th credit hour), you will need to contact the College of Science Dean’s office and ask for a graduation evaluation. You will return after a few days to discuss the results of your evaluation. You will need to do the same when you become a senior (complete your 90th credit hour).

Quick Hints

  • See your advisor!
  • You often need reference letters to go to graduate school or get a job. Your advisor can be one of these references if they know you.
  • Some courses are only offers once per year or once every 2-4 years. See your advisor to find out when courses are offered.
  • You can’t always depend on courses being offered in the summer. Very few CJC courses are offered during the summer terms.
  • Registering for classes online is very easy, but some students, especially first time freshmen, can be intimidated by the process.
  • For most information regarding academic advising, please visit Marshall University Advising