Mission Statement and Statement on Diversity
The Marshall University Libraries support the teaching, research, and public service commitments of the University by acquiring, organizing, maintaining, and preserving materials in all appropriate formats and providing access and delivery of information, resources, and services to all students, faculty, staff, and other stakeholders.
- University Mission Statement
- Code of Ethics of the American Library Association
- Library Bill of Rights of the American Library Association
Marshall University Libraries will be recognized as an Area of Excellence for the University, providing exceptional research, learning, and creativity support focused on student success and faculty and staff research in a welcoming and comfortable physical and intellectual environment.
- Excellent customer service
- Mutual respect and civility
- Intellectual and academic freedom
- Lifelong learning
- Access and responsible stewardship
- Deliver excellent customer services, research support, and instruction
- Recruit and retain a diverse staff and faculty committed to the mission, vision, and values of MU Libraries
- Develop a welcoming and comfortable physical space that supports research, lifelong learning, and creativity
- Increase student success through collaboration (external and internal), collection development, service enhancement, and education.
Marshall University Libraries and Online Learning Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
In accordance with Marshall University’s Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Policy http://www.marshall.edu/eeoaa/files/Equal-Employment-Affirmative-Action-Policy.pdf, Marshall University Libraries and Online Learning strive to deliver inclusive service in the pursuit of an equitable, diverse and pluralistic society that affirms the dignity of all those it services regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, marital or family status, pregnancy, veteran status, service in the uniformed services, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or gender expression.
Marshall University Libraries and Online Learning make equity, diversity and inclusion a priority and is committed to maintaining an environment of respect in all of our facilities and programming. Marshall University Libraries abide by the American Libraries Association Code of Ethics and strive to support the Library Bill of Rights.
Libraries hold a unique position as places to hold civil conversations on challenging subjects. They also serve as purveyors of credible information in which to frame those conversations. MU Libraries actively advocates and educates in defense of intellectual freedom—the rights of library users to read, seek information, and speak freely as guaranteed by the First Amendment.