Classified Staff Council Tuition Benefit Program
It is the intent of Classified Staff Council to ensure Marshall Employees have every opportunity to further their education by offering tuition benefits for all employees.
What is Covered?
- Unlimited Graduate and Undergraduate Courses
- E-Course and On-Campus Courses
- Fall, Spring and Summer Courses
- Cost of System Capital and E&G Fees
- Regular Student Enrollment Courses (Not Distance Student Enrollment – See FAQs)
What is Not Covered?
- Other fees, including but not limited to: auxiliary, special equity, recreation center, program, lab and late fees.
- WV Rocks Courses
- Graduate Social Work Program
- Hybrid Courses
- Distance Student Enrollment (See FAQs)
- Distance Student Fees
- E-Delivery Course Fees (E-Courses are covered, but the additional fee is not)
- Other programs or courses can be added to this list at any time.
Who is Eligible?
- Benefits-Eligible Marshall and MURC Employees.
- Employees who are admitted to the University and have already registered for classes.
- Employees registered with “Regular Student Enrollment” (See FAQs)
- Employees who have maintained “Satisfactory Academic Progress” (SAP) according to Financial Aid and University Policies. marshall.edu/sfa
- Employees taking courses during regularly scheduled working hours (with supervisor’s approval) must follow the “Educational Benefits” policy at https://www.marshall.edu/human-resources/files/Marshall-University-Classified-Staff-Handbook.pdf regarding release time from their regularly scheduled work week.
- Employees must inform the Service Committee by the first day of class if they intend to decline the award by notifying the Staff Council Program Assistant at either 304-696-2222 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to do so may impact future awards.
- Withdrawing from class or receiving a failing grade in a class for which funds were received will impact eligibility in the following semester.
- Once an employee accepts the benefit, if they choose to withdraw or drop a class after a 100% refund is available the employee will be responsible for paying back any part of the benefit that is not refunded by the Bursar’s Office.
- Electronic application form is available here.
- Fall Semester – One week prior to first day of classes
- Spring Semester – One week prior to first day of classes
- Summer Semester – One week prior to first day of classes
Notification of Award
- All applicants will be notified of their award via the employee’s official Marshall email address used on their application.
- How do I change from Distance Enrollment to Regular Enrollment? – Only “Regular Enrollment” students are eligible for tuition benefits, but if you are currently enrolled as “Distance” that can be changed by filling out and sending the following form to email@example.com. The form also lists which programs typically default to distance and will need changed to qualify.
- Why do I still have a balance due? – Tuition Benefits do not cover fees such as those listed above under “What is Not Covered?”