Studying abroad is a life-transforming experience that enriches our students in many ways. In addition to the exponential development of language skills, the challenge of living in a different culture and interacting with people with diverse backgrounds would benefit all the participants. To that end, Marshall has agreements with several foreign universities and with programs in this country that specialize in sending students abroad for a semester or a year.
Study abroad scholarships assists students to travel abroad with the less financial burden. Research, talk to people and be ready to apply early. Read some success stories from MU students.
One to two years before studying abroad
- Read website information on study abroad programs that Marshall University offers. For Office of study abroad, exchange programs information click here
- Read articles on MU students’ experiences from study abroad and think about the country you would like to study abroad.
- Make an appointment to discuss your interest with a professor in each language program.
- Make an appointment and ask about specific programs in the Office of Study Abroad, Old Main 321, or email email@example.com
- Save money and look into scholarship opportunities.
- Attend a study abroad meeting. Check emails every day.
- Apply for a passport. You need to have a valid passport in hand when you apply to study abroad.
Six months before studying abroad
- Start the application process with the Office of study abroad.
- Ask your advisor or your language professor politely to write a strong letter of recommendation.
- Use a polite attitude and language
- Always include your name, Marshall ID, email, and your class name in emails
- Set a specific deadline for your professor
- Send emails with your current resume and letter of intent, explaining which program you are planning to apply to and why.
- Keep in touch with the professor and the study abroad officer.
- Apply for study abroad scholarships. Click here
- Once you are accepted, complete the course planning form with your advisor and submit it to the Office of study abroad.
- Book a ticket and get ready.
During studying abroad
- Keep us updated with some pictures.
- Try to use the target language as much as possible.
- Keep all the syllabi and materials.
After studying abroad
- Contact the Office of study abroad for transfer credits.
- After all the credits are in your transcript, discuss it with your advisor.
- Continue learning.
- Share your stories and experiences.
Each year between five and seven students study at Chukyo University or at Kansai Gaidai University in Japan for one or two semesters. Each semester, we will have an information session for study abroad in Japan. For information on these and other programs in Japan, please contact Dr. Zelideth Rivas click here
Students can earn six (6) hours of academic credit in a month (June or July) or twelve (12) hours of academic credit in two months (June and July) by studying at the Centro de Estudios Hispánicos of the Universidad Antonio de Nebrija in Madrid, Spain. The program offers courses in the Spanish language at the elementary, intermediate, and advanced levels. It also offers courses in composition, conversation, literature, history and art. The professors are native speakers of Spanish who hold advanced degrees and who are accredited by the Spanish Ministry of Education.
Every year the students enrolled in the program depart the 30th of May and return June 30th or July 31st. While in Madrid the students reside with Spanish families. The deadline for application to this program will be in March.
Contact Dr. Maria Carmen Riddel (firstname.lastname@example.org) for specific information and to obtain application forms.
Europe, Asia and South America
In addition to the universities with which we have specific agreements, students can also study abroad via the KIIS and ISEP programs. The ISEP program allows students to pay Marshall tuition, although they have other expenses they have to cover. The KIIS program has summer and semester programs and students pay KIIS prices. For more information on these programs, please contact email@example.com