The Undergraduate Creative Discovery and Research Scholar award program provides Marshall University students with an opportunity to pursue original creative work, scholarship or research, under the mentorship of a full-time faculty member.
For fall and spring awards students are provided a $1750 stipend, and up to $1,000 for travel and materials for one semester. In addition, $750 is provided for the participating faculty mentor for travel.
For summer awards, a $4,000 stipend is provided to the student, and a participating faculty member can receive $1,000.
- Applicants must be juniors and seniors with a minimum GPA of 3.0;
- Applicants must be enrolled at Marshall University for at least 12 hours during the semester in which the project is funded; and
- Applicants must have a letter of support and sponsorship from a full-time faculty member who is willing to serve as mentor for the project.
The student’s project can involve research, design, development, field study, creative work or performance.
The project should require a total commitment of 150 hours of the student’s time (i.e., 10 hours per week) over the fall or spring semester. For summer awards, the project should require a total commitment of 200-300 hours of the students time (i.e. 20-30 hours per week for 10 weeks). The project must be structured so the student can produce creative or scholarly output (e.g. a presentation, publication, exhibit, or performance) at the end of the award period.
Full details of the application format, submission requirements and the evaluation process are included in the current Request for Proposals. If you have questions, please contact your area’s pre-award officer.
Upcoming Application Deadlines
- Oct. 25, 2019, for Spring 2020 (Request for Proposals)
- March 3, 2020, for Summer 2020 (Request for Proposals)
- April 17, 2020, for Fall 2020 (Request for Proposals)
- Nov. 6, 2020, for Spring 2021 (Request for Proposals)
- Feb. 12, 2021, for Summer 2021 (Request for Proposals)
- April 19, 2021, for Fall 2021 (Request for Proposals)