EARTH DAY 2015 Success!
Our Earth Day event on April 22nd at the MU Student Center was a success! A wild variety of workshops, presenters, and participants filled our event with green and sustainable learning opportunities. Visitors both young and old were entertained and engaged, had some great fun, and celebrated our green earth. Over 40 local organizations, groups and businesses were at our Earth Day event to share their commitment to our planet, and promote real action that will create a stronger, healthier, happier community.
EARTH DAY April 22nd 10AM-2PM
@ MU Student Center Plaza
Join us for some great fun and celebrate our green earth.
A very special day is coming up this April: Earth Day. In recognition of this occasion, the Sustainability Department is hosting an Earth Day celebration titled “There’s no place like Earth”. The event will be held on Marshall University’s campus on April 22rd, from 10a.m. to 2p.m.
A wild variety of workshops, presenters, and participants will fill this event with green and sustainable learning opportunities. Visitors both young and old will be entertained and engaged.
Come celebrate the splendor, beauty and diversity of our planet, and help spread the environmental message of Earth Day.
We invite local organizations, groups and businesses to join us. Share your commitment to our planet, and promote real action that will create a stronger, healthier, happier community. Our event would be greatly enriched by your participation.
Please RSVP by Friday, April 10th.
You can register via the below form.
For more information, contact:
- Event Coordinator: Capri Billingsholderby7@marshall.edu, (304)690-5611.
- Department: BeMarshallGreen@marshall.edu, 304-696-2992
Set-up is at 9am. All participating organizations should plan on setting up at 9am, distributing information and/or providing educational activities from 10am-2pm, then tearing down after 2pm.
– Registration has been closed –
Come celebrate Earth Day
Wednesday, April 22nd
10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Memorial Student Center Lobby, Plaza and Buskirk Field
Launching Earth Day is the Unitarian Fellowship of Huntington Drum Circle!
Bring your own drum or use one supplied by the group and join in the celebration!
Also demonstrating ‘Fire-spinning’ and ‘Smudging’!
T-shirt imprinting with the Earth Day logo In partnership with Goodwill Industries and the Marshall School of Art & Design, College of Arts and Media Goodwill will supply donated used t-shirts or you may bring your own Two students from the School of Art & Design designed the logo Only 150, first come first served!
Huntington Museum of Art is bringing their indoor and outdoor nature programstogether Dr. Mike Beck, Conservatory Director, will display several of his famous orchids and the blue poison dart frogs! Their Nature Docents will be on hand talking about hiking the hills and showing images of the trail.
Gina Hart-Smith, Yoga Instructor, Learn techniques of Earthing wherein we connect to the energy of the Earth using Yoga, Dance, Chanting and Meditation. No mats are necessary, starting around 10:30 am. One may wish to bring a cotton towel to sit on during relaxation.
Did you miss out on the installation of the Green Vegetative Roof on campus Travis Bailey, Environmental Specialist, will host tours of both vegetative roofs every hour Meet Travis on the Student Center Plaza by the Memorial Fountain at the times below!
Sustainable Lunch: Plan to bring a paper bag lunch or use a reusable lunch box, then come to the plaza to eat and enjoy a beautiful spring afternoon After eating, come by the Recycling table by the Memorial Fountain to compost leftover food scraps and learn more about composting!
Other groups/activities are:
- Greater Huntington Park & Recreation District: Outdoor recreation
- Huntington Cycle and Sport: Bicycle information
- Chipotle Mexican Grill: Free sofritas samples!
- Glass from the Past: Recycling glass
- Ohio Valley Environmental Coalition (OVEC): Brochures, books, buttons & stickers
- Student Association of Nutrition & Dietetics: Nutrition from the Earth
- Marshall Environmental Science Association: Hands on activity dealing with the history behind Earth Day
- Dutch Miller Chevrolet: Come see the electric Chevy Volt
- Help for Animals Clinic: Information about spaying and neutering
- Fourpole Creek Watershed Association: Information and maps on the biodiversitof ecosystems in Huntington
- Marshall Chapter of American Fisheries Society: Display of crayfish and mussels
- Marshall Recreation Outdoor Pursuits: Rec Center info, Outdoor Pursuit info, and the Eco Cycle Bike Loan Program
- Goodwill Industries of KYOWVA Area, Inc: Recycling info, clothing donatioprogram, job training, and craft project
- Enterprise Holdings: Car share information
- MU PROS: Campsite display, animal footprinmolds, leave no trace info, knot tying, and the Huge Earth Ball
- Marshall Sustainability Department: Campus gardens and herb giveawayBicycle Generator
- Scuba Club: Slide show of recent dives, scuba equipment, fish ID posters, and fliers
- Citizens Climate WV: Brochures and videos
- Sustainable Living for WV: Environmental information, and the May 16tSustainability Fair
- West Virginia Youth Action League: Stickers, brochures, buttons, and music
- Marshall Career Services: Promoting green jobs
- Marshall Honors 200/Sustainability Dept: Craft activities include making fish froplastic bottles and cherry blossom stamping designSign a Green Pledge and receive a reusable tote!
- Kate McComas: Demonstrating spinning and natural dyeing
- Laura Michele Diener: Showcasing how natural dyes work and how to spin wool from llamas, alpacasand sheep
- Shaw Industries: Literature, handouts, DVD showinGreen efforts of Shaw
- Big Brothers Big Sisters: Information about the program and volunteer sign up
- Housing and Residence Life: Sustainable education in the residence halls, sustainable initiatives, giveawaysand the grass cell project
- Larry Cartmill, Herpetologist: WV reptile display with emphasis on conservation and education
- New Baptist Church: Making rugs from plastic bags
- Healthy Life Market: Giveaways and samples
For more information, you can also email us at BeMarshallGreen@marshall.edu, or contact our event coordinator Capri Billings at email@example.com, (304)690-5611www.marshall.edu/sustainability/earth-day-2015/