Students who live in the residence halls can take comfort in knowing that the Department of Housing and Residence Life takes the safety and security of its residents very seriously. The following are just some of the measures in place to ensure a safe and secure residential living environment for all of our residents:
- The front desks of Marshall’s residence hall are staffed 24 hours a day.
- All Residence Halls are locked 24 hrs. Residents must use their ID/Room Key to be able to enter the Building.
- All guests must show a photo ID and be signed in as a guest by a resident of the building at the front desk.
- The Residence Hall staff of Residence Directors and Resident Advisors are on call nightly, live on each floor, and make periodic nightly rounds of each hall.
- The Marshall University Police Department is located only steps away from the residence halls. Call 304-696-HELP (or 4357).
Residents themselves also bear responsibility for their own safety. It is important that they take responsibility for keeping their room doors locked, for reporting anything unusual or suspicious to a member of the residence hall staff or Marshall University Police, for taking their valuables home with them over breaks, and for knowing the character and trustworthiness of any guests they sign in to their rooms.