Below you will find resources listed for the LGBTQ+ community. The resources below are not an exhaustive list and are subject to change.
Marshall University Resources
- Marshall University Counseling Services – Counseling services provides professional counseling services to the MU campus community. Please contact them at 304-696-3111.
- Marshall University Lambda Society – MU Student Group catering to LGBT students on Marshall’s campus. Currently meeting Thursday Nights at 9:15pm in the Memorial Student Center’s John Spotts Room (2nd floor, down left hallway when facing the Don Morris room).For more information please email email@example.com.
- Marshall University Women’s Center – The Women’s Center strives to ensure a campus community in which women and men can live and work together in a mutually respectful and supportive environment where equality, responsibility, and personal empowerment are encouraged and fostered. Following a feminist model of empowerment, the Center works toward fostering, recognizing, and affirming the abilities, accomplishments, and potential of Marshall women. Through a variety of educational programs, culturally-diverse events, resource opportunities, and comprehensive support services, Marshall Women’s Center strives to address the needs of women of Marshall and the surrounding community. The Women’s center can be found in Prichard Hall Rm. 135. Please contact them at 304-696-3338.
West Virginia Resources
- Covenant House – An organization dedicated to working for justice by offering direct services for people in need while creating social change through education. Please contact them at 304-344-0530.
- Living AIDS Memorial Garden – A garden in memory of those who have died from AIDS. Please contact them toll-free at (877) 543-LAMG.
- Parents, Friends and Family of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) – A support group for families and friends of LGBT people. Charleston – firstname.lastname@example.org or 304-541-5470.
- Potomac Highlanders – A social group for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexuals and Allies serving the LGBT community of the Potomac Highlands of West Virginia.
- WVU BiGLM – West Virginia University LGBT student group located in Morgantown, WV. Please contact BiGLM at 304-293-8200.
- WV Human Rights Commission – The WV Human Rights Commission offers documents on hate crimes and other information relevant to WV. Please contact the Commission toll-free at (888) 676-5546.
- WV Hate Crimes Task Force – The West Virginia Hate Crime Task Force is a working group made up of representatives from federal, state and local law enforcement departments, human rights agencies and civil rights organizations. Please contact their hotline toll-free at 1-888-676-5546.
National and Internet Resources
- The GLBT Resource Page – List of news sites and other resources aimed at the LGBT community. Special thanks to Leah and Tiffany of Delaware for bringing this one to our attention.
- Human Rights Campaign
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- Lambda Legal Defense Fund
- The Intersex Society of North America
- Oasis Journals – A writing community for Queer and Questioning youth.
- National Youth Advocacy Coalition
- BiNet USA
- Famous and Gay – Listing of famous gay, lesbian and bisexual people and features over 700 people from all over the world. Only people who are out or who were outed after their death are included. Pictures and a short biography are included on each person.
- LGBTQ+ Online Dating Safety – Offers statistical information on dating violence and provides tips on how to stay safe when using dating apps.
- Scholarships for LGBTQ+ Students – Provides financial aid information and lists of scholarships for the LGBTQ+ community as well as tips to help navigate the scholarship application process.
- Transgender Birth Certificates: Laws by State
- Transgender in the Workplace – Offers information, resources, and tips for the transgender community on how to navigate and handle issues that may arise in the workplace.
- Transgender College Student Resource Guide
- Safe and Open Campuses and Resources – Provides information and multiple resources for LGBTQ+ students.
- Scholarships for the Transgender Community – Lists transgender-friendly campuses and scholarships as well as general information and tips for transgender students.
- Zippia LGBTQ Workplace Resource
Looking to Help
- Becoming an Advocate – Information and advice on how to become a student advocate for the LGBTQ+ community.
- How Teachers can be Allies – Information and advice on how teachers can become advocates and how to create inclusive classrooms for the LGBTQ+ community; offers definitions and basic information about the LGBTQ+ community.