Made possible with a gift from Marshall and Shirley Reynolds and the Marshall University Foundation, the Marshall & Shirley Reynolds Outstanding Teacher Award is awarded annually to provide encouragement and incentive for teaching achievement. The $3000 award is presented to a faculty member who demonstrates superior teaching.
- be in a fulltime tenured appointment in a unit that reports to Academic Affairs;
- have a minimum of six years of credited fulltime teaching experience, at least three of which are at Marshall. (For the purposes of this award, “credited fulltime teaching experience” refers to the total years of experience that Academic Affairs counts as part of a faculty member’s tenured or tenure-track appointment at Marshall University.)
Please Note: In any given year a faculty member can be considered for only one award that recognizes teaching (i.e., Hedrick or Reynolds). If nominated and eligible for more than one award, the nominee will be asked to choose one teaching award for consideration.
Nomination form – available in August, 2021
- Members of the faculty, staff, administration, or student body are invited to make a nomination by completing the online form below. Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Nominations deadline: September 15, 2021
Please Note: A faculty member can receive this award only once in his or her service at Marshall University. Previous recipients of the Reynolds award are listed here: http://www.marshall.edu/ctl/?page_id=1575.
Candidates who accept the nomination will submit documentation of their achievements by October 15, 2021. Required documents include:
- A current vita
- Sample syllabi for three different courses taught by the candidate at Marshall University
- A teaching questionnaire
- A supervisor’s recommendation form
- Two letters of support from colleagues familiar with the candidate’s teaching
In addition, course evaluation summary sheets for the prior four years will be solicited directly from Institutional Research.
Selection of a faculty member to receive the Reynolds Outstanding Teacher Award is a two-level process.
- The first level of screening is based on the committee’s evaluation of the submitted materials listed above. Finalists will be selected and notified by December 2021.
- The Selection Committee will observe the classroom teaching of each finalist and conduct interviews with each finalist’s colleagues and students during Spring 2022. The winner will be notified in early April 2022 and will be recognized at the Spring General Faculty Meeting.
Please direct questions to:
Dr. Karen L. McComas
Center for Teaching and Learning
Old Main 109