It shall be the policy of Marshall University Mail Services that:
1) All mail boxes must be opened by individual departments with their combination cards. Instructions shall be provided when necessary.
2) United States postage stamps will be available for departments for University business only and shall be charged to their monthly postage bill. No stamps will be available for personal use.
3) All payroll check bundles shall be placed intact in the mail box for the department for the individual on top of the bundle by Mail Services employees.
4) Due to timeliness of paychecks, time sheets, and p-card statements, only full time staff shall process these items.
5) Permits shall be maintained at the United States Post Office for Standard Bulk Rate, First Class, Corporate Express, Postage Due, and Business Reply.
6) Standard Bulk Permit shall be made available to legitimate student organizations provided that they:
A) Use a Marshall University return address.
B) Take the mailing to the Virginia Avenue Post Office Bulk Mailing Office.
C) Pay for the mailing at the Post Office at the time of mailing and provide Mail Services with a copy of paperwork and paid receipt.
D) Comply with all Marshall University and United States Postal policies and procedures.
7) All outside vendors who wish to have items sent through campus mail must receive approval from Purchasing, Human Resources, Payroll, Senior Vice President for Administration, or the President.
8) All departments must notify Mail Services of possible bulk mailings prior to printing or one month in advance of mail date to insure money is available on permits.
9) United States Postal Services mailing supplies will be available in mail room.
10) All departments must provide Mail Services with an Encumbrance number, Fund number and ORG number before their mail can be processed.
11) All mail must have the Marshall University return address with sender name, department name and valid mail code. Any mail not containing a proper return address may be returned to the department at the discretion of the Supervisor of Mail Services.
12) Any mail suspected of not being university business shall be opened for inspection and returned if not university business.
13) All departments are responsible for policing their own mail.
14) A proper return address is:
1 John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755-(mail code)
15) All incoming mail with a traceable number and checks handled through MU Courier Service must be signed for by the department and initialed by Mail Services employees.
16) Before Christmas break, all mail that is to be round dated (ex. Certified, Insured) must be received in the mail room the day before the last work day. Any item brought in the last day must be taken to the United States Post Office by the department.
17) All parcels must weigh less than 70 lbs and be less than 108 inches total (measure longest side and add to measurement around the outside of the box).
18) Mail Services adheres to United States Postal Services rules and regulations as they pertain to mail.
19) It is the responsibility of the departments to forward all mail, not Mail Services.
20) Mail Services only accepts packages from the United States Postal Service; all others go through Receiving.
21) The contents of all parcels must be provided to Mail Services so we may determine the cheapest rate to mail it.
22) Use the appropriate size envelope for the item you are mailing. Do not use over-sized envelopes to mail single pieces unless they can not be folded.
23) Departments must seal thick letter-size envelopes (greater than 1/4″ thick).
24) Bundle foreign correspondences separately. Currently, some foreign correspondence needs a signed “customs declaration” form on them. When mailing foreign correspondences, please contact the mail room for the proper forms.
25) Avoid dark and neon colors when creating postcards and flyers. The post office may refuse to mail dark or neon items (it causes problems with equipment).
26) We have many departments with the same initials or acronyms, so no abbreviations are allowed.
|Using these procedures will help to assure that your mail is processed as quickly and accurately
as possible. A lot of your mail is processed by part-time student employees and the following will
help them to help you.
Daily United States Postal Service Mail:
1) Mail is picked up at the Virginia Avenue Post Office daily at approximately 9:00 a.m.
2) First Class Mail is usually in the departmental mail boxes by 11:30 a.m.
3) All traceable mail is slipped for department pickup after mail is processed.
4) All Business Reply and Postage Due mail is worked up after the mail is processed.
1) Address mail by department, not building.
2) Use first and last names of the person that the mail is addressed.
3) Do not use first names only.
4) Cross out all previous addresses on both sides of the envelope.
5) Do not use building and room number.
6) Keep interoffice mail and outgoing mail separate.
7) Large mailings (50 or more pieces) must be bundled by department.
Mail Services Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Services Offered By MU Mail Services:
We have a courier service which goes to Teay’s Valley (Tuesdays and Thursdays only), MU Graduate College (South Charleston Campus), Higher Education Policy Commission, and the State Capital Complex (one trip) on a daily basis. Please have this mail separated into different bundles in campus mail. Courier Service mail must be in the mail room by 10:30 am. The Courier returns at approximately 3:30 pm.
Anyone can send and receive a fax through the MU Mail Services in Old Main B23.
Our Fax Number is 304-696-3232; Our Voice Number is 304-696-6644.
All transactions are CASH ONLY. Also, you must have exact change after 4:15 p.m.
The cost is very reasonable:
- To receive a fax, copy or scan —————- $ .25 per page (Don’t forget to have a cover page sent with your name and a number where to reach you!)
- To send in the United States ————– $ 1.00 per page
To send out of the United States ——– $2.00 per