One-Room Schoolhouse


One Room School House Students in front of sign

One Room School House Dr. Lutz and President Smith

One Room School House



Description and History

Located on fifth Avenue, Huntington Campus, between Holderby hall and Campus Christian Center. A one-room schoolhouse where all elementary students were taught in a single room. Simple wood-frame construction typical of rural 19th century schools. Currently houses the Ovie and Jesse Cline Museum.

Constructed in rural Cabell County ca. 1888, transported and dedicated on Marshall campus 1995. Donated by Mrs. Tina F. Bryan of Glenwood, WV, in memory of his husband Mr. James E. Bryan, and originally stood at Punkin as a Center School.

Honoring West Virginia’s rural education heritage, it houses the Ovie and Jesse Cline Museum and was funded by alumnus Phil Cline in memory of his parents, who attended and taught in a one-room school.

A Brief History of the Marshall University One Room School Museum Project – Dr. Paul Lutz, Professor Emeritus of History

The Hearld Dispatch – One-Room Schoolhouse at Marshall to open to the public regularly this fall

One Room School House hours of operation


Dr. Neil Arneson, retired faculty member from the College of Education and Professional Development, will be offering tours and sharing information about the educational, sociological, economic, civic and historical importance of all one-room schools and especially those in West Virginia. Arneson will be doing a living history presentation of one of the last male schoolmasters in West Virginia in 1873 for groups of 4 or more each day, also.  Find out if you are as smart as a student from 150 years ago.

Appointments can be made for any other time, day or evening for tours and presentations. Contact Arneson by phone at 304-633-3935 or by e-mail at

Moving Day – One-Room Schoolhouse – June, 1995


Home Video