English as a Second Language


English as a Second Language (ESL) may be completed as a Graduate Certificate, or as a specialization within the Master of Arts in Education.  All ESL programs require students to have licensure as a teacher prior to applying.

Please see FAQs for more information.


Plans of StudyTeachTomorrowbadge

Certificate in Teaching English as a Second Language

Master of Arts in Education with an area of emphasis in Teaching English as a Second Language



Certificate Candidates

  • Transcripts verifying Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university
  • Undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or a Master’s degree
  • Current teaching licensure

Degree Candidates

  • Transcripts verifying Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university
  • Undergraduate GPA of 2.5
  • Current teaching licensure


Application for Admission and Information

For complete admission information and an application visit: http://www.marshall.edu/graduate/


For More Information Please Contact:

Dr. Beth Campbell 
Associate Professor (Program Coordinator)
Marshall University
College of Education and Professional Development
100 Angus E. Peyton Drive, South Charleston, WV  25303-1600
(304) 746-1984 or 1-800-642-9842 ext. 61984
Email: campbelle@marshall.edu


Mrs. Carolyn Schwarz (Program Secretary)
Phone: (304) 746-1996 or 1-800-642-9842 ext. 61996
Email:  cshwarz@marshall.edu


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Are there ESL teaching jobs in West Virginia?
A: Yes, there are!  And especially in the state’s larger counties and eastern panhandle.  If you’re already employed, holding an ESL endorsement is a great way to diversify your expertise so that you are more valuable to your current students and school.

Q: Will the ESL Certificate program help me get a teaching license?
A: Our ESL program will help you to earn the ESL Endorsement to your existing K-12 teaching license, but you must hold a valid teaching license in order to apply for the endorsement.

Q: Is there a Practicum?
A: Yes, there is. The ESL Practicum is a 75 hour field experience that takes place over the course of a semester. We work hard to design flexible experiences that fit each student’s particular location and situation.  The Practicum can include a mix of school day observations, planning, tutoring, and classroom (or pull out) teaching, but it can also include ESL activities that take place outside of the regular school day—in your community or church, for example. The Practicum also reaches across age levels, too, so you’ll have the opportunity, if you choose, to work with a broad range of English Language Learners.

Q: Will the ESL Certificate allow me to teach English overseas?
A: That really depends on what you want to teach, and where you want to teach it.  The WV teaching license and ESL Endorsement is not, in most cases, directly transferable, but many language programs in many countries appreciate the value of US teacher licensure. Your best bet is to contact the ESL program or school you’d like to teach for, and find out what their requirements are.




“Marshall University’s TESOL certification program helped me develop and refine my teaching skills. It afforded me both the theory and practical application needed to work with English language learners.  The convenience of an online program allowed me to pursue my degree and continue teaching.”


Erin Gripper
Lead ESL Instructor
Marion County Schools


 Preparing the Experienced Professional as Specialist.