Below is a list of possible scholarships available to geology students. Application information for select scholarships has been provided. Please contact the Geology department for additional information.
Undergraduate Full-time Tuition Waiver
One full-time tuition waiver will be awarded each semester with the following eligibility requirements:
- The waiver for Fall 2015 will be awarded to a B.A. or B.S. Geology major on a competitive basis.
- Applicants must have completed GLY 110 or GLY 200, GLY 210L, and must have completed (or be enrolled in) any two additional classes such as: GLY 427, GLY 212, GLY 313, GLY 314, GLY 325, GLY430, GLY 451 & 451L, GLY455 & 455L
- (Transfer students must have completed equivalent courses)
- NOTE: A student already receiving financial assistance, excluding a loan(s), that includes a tuition waiver for the Fall 2015 semester (e.g., PROMISE) is not eligible for this award.
Geology Department Academic Scholarship ($2000)
Awarded once each fall, selection will be based primarily on overall academic achievement in college-level courses but especially in geology classes. The scholarship recipient(s) must also meet the general scholarship guidelines established by the Office of Student Financial Assistance for full time students. In addition, the following criteria must also be met:
- The recipient (s) must have declared Geology as his/her major in either the B.A. or B.S. options, and must maintain the major during the scholarship period.
- The recipient (s) must have completed at least 11 credit hours in geology classes by the end of the Fall 2014 semester.
- The recipient (s) must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in both the major and overall (CGPA > 3.0).
Niemann Family Scholarship ($ 1000)
Awarded once each fall to a Geology major based on need and academic merit.
Robert E. Fox Field Camp Scholarship ($2500)
Awarded once each year for Geology major(s) to attend summer field camp, this scholarship is provided through the generosity of Robert Fox, who graduated from Marshall with a B.S. in Geology in 1952 and from the University of Illinois with an M.S. in Geology in 1953. Mr. Fox has had a long and distinguished career as a petroleum geologist. Most field camps run for 6 weeks and are for 6 hours of credit. Applicants may apply for camps that are from 4 to 8 weeks in length and from 4 to 8 credit hours.
Applicant must be a junior or senior, full-time, B.A. or B.S. Geology Major. Prior coursework must meet the prerequisites specified by the field camp and will usually include at least GLY 200 (or 110), 210L, 201, 211L, 313, 325, 421 or 423. Selection of the successful candidate will be made by Geology Department faculty and will based on:
- GPA in Geology
- overall GPA
- degree option (preference for BS over BA)
- financial need
- academic and career objectives
- whether field camp will be used to fulfill the capstone requirement
Outstanding Freshman ($1000)
Awarded to one freshman Geology major based on academic merit and need.
Academic Achievement ($1000)
Awarded to one Geology major each year (sophomore – senior) based on academic merit and need.
Outstanding First Year Major ($1000)
Awarded to a Geology major based on academic merit and need for (sophomore – senior) students switching into Geology as a major.
Outstanding Incoming Freshman ($1500)
Awarded to a high school senior registered at Marshall as a Geology Major in Fall semester, based on academic merit and need.