The Department of Mathematics plays a critical role in the education of every Marshall student, serving students in each college at Marshall University. The mission of the Department of Mathematics is to:
- Prepare students for a variety of careers in the mathematical sciences and related disciplines, including secondary education, data science, economics, and engineering.
- Prepare students to pursue advanced degrees in mathematics, statistics, math education, and related disciplines.
- Engage students in critical thinking and problem solving through coursework, internships, and research projects in collaboration with faculty.
- Create a supportive, equitable environment for learning that fosters appreciation of mathematics and prepares students to contribute to the quality of life locally, nationally, and globally.
- Contribute to the advancement of knowledge through mathematical and statistical research and through the application of mathematical and statistical techniques to other disciplines.