Admission to the Bachelor of Fine Arts program in Musical Theatre requires both a successful audition for the musical theatre program and full acceptance to Marshall University.Apply to the Musical Theatre Program Apply to Marshall University
Musical Theatre Audition
Registration and Scheduling
- Complete and submit the Musical Theatre Audition Registration Form (required for an audition)
- On the Musical Theatre Audition Registration Form, you will indicate whether you wish to schedule an in-person audition or submit a recording of your audition materials.
- Two complete songs in contrasting styles (one up tempo, and one ballad)
- Ear-training and musicianship assessment
- One-minute contemporary monologue prepared with a clear objective. (This selection should be from a play, not from a film.)
- One song from a musical to observe your acting of the song. (This can be one of the two songs as listed above.)
- Students scheduling an in-person audition should be prepared to present a Dance audition as well.
- For students who are auditioning virtually, please provide a video of your dance skills if you are able.
- A dance assessment will take place on campus early in the first semester of enrollment to determine the student’s understanding of movement in relation to the needs of Musical Theatre. The Dance assessment will assist the faculty in placing students in Dance classes appropriate to their level of experience.
- (Students will come dressed appropriately for dance/movement.)
Preparation and Submission of Pre-Recorded Auditions
(Note: Please read all instructions carefully.)
- Record your video indoors. Any kind of well-lit room is fine but ensure that there are no visual or sound distractions.
- Dress professionally, as you would for a live audition or performance.
- Use a video camera (or good cell phone video camera) that is mounted to a fixed position.
- For the singing portion of the video, position the camera so that your full face and most of your torso is visible, and face toward the camera as you would for an audience. For acting and dance, you should be fully visible on camera.
- You must sing your songs with accompaniment. You may perform with a pianist or with a recorded accompaniment (using Appcompanist App, YouTube accompaniments, etc.).
- Songs and monologues must be performed from memory. On the video, introduce/slate each selection, including title, playwright/composer, and if applicable, the title of the full work. (For instance: I will sing Some Enchanted Evening by Richard Rodgers, from the musical South Pacific.)
Submitting Your Recording
- Recorded auditions will be submitted through YouTube. Create a YouTube ID then upload your video ‘UNLISTED’ (not public!).
- Submit three separate videos: one for VOICE, one for ACTING, and one for DANCE.
- When you have finished, email the links to your YouTube videos to email@example.com
Acceptance to Marshall University
You can complete an application to Marshall University at www.marshall.edu/admissions/apply.
If you have questions about the admissions process or need additional information, contact the Office of Admissions at 1-800-642-3499 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: While you will want to complete the Marshall University admissions process as early as possible, you do not have to be accepted to the university prior to your audition for the musical theatre program.