The Department of Theatre tuition waiver scholarships are intended to sustain a strong and diverse ensemble of emerging theatre artists at Marshall and to support promising students who have identified the entertainment industry as a career goal. These awards are limited to fall and spring tuition only and cannot be applied to books, fees, housing, travel, or on-line courses and summer secession tuition. Awards are recommended by the Director of the School of Theatre and Dance of Theatre based on ACT and GPA scores. All tuition and scholarship awards given by Marshall University are subject to the university budget, the availability of funds, the student’s total financial aid package, and final approval by the Office of Student Financial Assistance.
- Awards are made only to students pursuing a theatre degree. Should a student change his or her major, the award is rescinded in the semester the change of major becomes effective.
- Department of Theatre tuition waiver scholarships may be combined with other MU tuition-only awards not to exceed 100% of entry year tuition in combination with all other MU tuition-only awards
- The dollar value of the tuition waiver made in the entry level year remains fixed for the life of the scholarship providing the student:
- Maintains a 2.5 GPA overall, Maintain 3.0 GPA in theatre (THE) classes beyond the first year.
- Is progressing satisfactorily toward graduation in eight semesters.
- Is fully engaged in the theatre program including attending appropriate conferences, and workshops and contributing to School and University activities.
- Awards are distributed evenly between fall and spring semesters.
- All scholarship offers require official acceptance to the university no later than the date indicated on the scholarship offer. Unaccepted offers are void after this date unless an extension is requested and granted by the Director.
- All awards are subject to the availability of funds and review by the Office of Student Financial Assistance.
- Scholarships accepted by a first year MU student admitted with less than 26 credit hours completed may be renewed for up to six semesters beyond the first year of eligibility.
- Scholarships accepted by a first year MU student admitted with 26 – 52 credit hours completed may be renewed for up to four semesters beyond the first year of eligibility.
- Scholarships accepted by a first year MU student admitted with 52-70 credit hours completed may be renewed for up to two semesters beyond the first year of eligibility.
- Significant and ongoing contribution to Department of Theatre productions and program activities.
- Successfully completion of at least 26 credit hours each academic year