How Do I?

Access My E-mail?

Marshall University students are issued an MU e-mail address, assigned as If you do not know your Marshall user-name or e-mail address, contact Computing Services. The standard for checking Marshall e-mail is through the Marshall University Web Portal, myMU.

After signing in to myMU ,  click the “e-mail” icon at the top of the page   For information on alternate ways to check your Marshall E-mail, visit

Find My Advisor?

Log in to your myMU account.  Once you are on the site you can select the student tab and view your academic profile which includes your advisor’s information.

Prepare For Advising?

All students in the College of Health Professions must meet with their advisors prior to registration. Your advisor will let you know via e-mail or Twitter  announcements how/when appointments will be held.

  • Have an idea of what classes you might wish to take the next semester.
  • Make a list of questions you may want to ask.
  • If you already have a schedule or partial schedule, bring a detailed copy of it with you.

Know What Classes To Take?

Every major the COHP offers has a Plan of Study. The Plan of Study is a suggestion of courses that meet the requirements for your degree. *Consider printing the plan for your records and checking off the required courses as you progress through them.

Look Up Classes To Add?

A listing of the classes being offered each semester is available on myMU (Select Tab: Student Services & Financial Aid) or on the Registrar’s Web site. *We find that students prefer using the Registrar’s version of the course listing.

To Register Online, Follow these easy steps.

Login to myMU at to access MILO, the online location where you register for classes, make schedule adjustments, view grades, etc.

  • Login with your MUID and your 6-digit PIN (originally set at date of birth in six-digit format MMDDYY).
  • Click the “School Services” link and then the MILO link.
  • Next, click “Student & Financial Aid”, “Registration”, and “Add/Drop Classes”.
  • Select classes from the open class list by denoting their CRN (course reference numbers).
  • Enter the 4 digit CRN number for each course into the boxes on the “Registration” screen and click SUBMIT.

Know When To…?

The University maintains a detailed Academic Calendar. Students should print this document or save important dates to their phones or calendars to remind themselves of upcoming deadlines.

Find a Tutor?

Tutoring services is available for a variety of subjects, i.e., Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and English.

  • Biology Tutoring, Science Building Room 209. Hours vary.
  • Mathematics Tutoring, Smith Hall Room 526. Hours and tutors vary.
  • Tutoring Services  Hours and courses vary.
  • Writing Center, Corbly Hall Room 353.
  • Disabled Student Services, Prichard Hall Room 120
  • Medical H.E.L.P. Program. Helping medical students and physicians with learning disabilities and/or ADHD succeed

Withdraw From A Class?

The last date for withdrawal from individual full-term courses is the tenth Friday in a regular semester. Students wishing to withdraw from a class must complete a Schedule Adjustment form, obtain the course instructor’s signature, dean’s signature, and take the Schedule Adjustment form to the Registration Office in Old Main. Schedule Adjustment forms are available in the Office of Student Services or the Registration Office in Old Main.

Students withdrawing from individual full-term courses receive a grade of “W” for the course. The “W” grade has no impact on your GPA however it will remain on your academic transcript. If you do not withdrawal from classes properly, you will receive a grade of “F” at the end of the semester or term.

Completely Withdraw From All Classes?

The last date for complete withdrawal from the semester/term is the last regular day of class. Complete Withdrawal from the semester/term is defined as dropping all classes for which a student is registered. You must submit a withdrawal form to the Registration Office in Old Main. The effective date of withdrawal is the date that the withdrawal form is submitted to the Registrar.

Students withdrawing receive a grade of “W” for all courses. The “W” grade has no impact on your GPA. If you do not withdrawal from classes properly, you will receive grades of “F” at the end of the semester/term.

View My Grades?

Final grades are posted online. To view your grades, login to myMU, click on “School Services” and access MILO.

Marshall University will mail final grades only upon student request.

Requests to have grades mailed may be submitted online using myMU or by submitting a written request to the Office of the Registrar.

You may mail a written grade request to

Office of the Registrar
Marshall University
One John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755

Change My Major?

Transferring Within Your Current College
Students who wish to change majors within their current college must visit the Office of Student Services on the 2nd Floor of Prichard Hall.

Inter-College Transfer
If you have decided to change your major to one that is not housed in the COHP you will need to visit your MyMU page. The form will appear as an option on the right of your Dynamic Forms Menu.  The form is named Intercollege Transfer Form. Another option is to go to and click on Intercollege Transfer Form from the Quick Links menu on the right side of the page.  With the MyMU option it will auto fill the top of the page without any login information, but with the /advising option, you’ll be asked to complete a single stage login.

Exception: Individuals who are returning to the university from one or more years of active military duty may enter the college of their choice, provided they meet that college’s entrance requirements.

D/F Repeat?

If a student earns a grade of “D” or “F” (including failures due to regular and/or irregular withdrawal) on any course taken no later than the semester or summer term during which the student attempts the sixtieth semester hour, and if that student repeats this course prior to the receipt of a baccalaureate degree, the original grade shall be disregarded and the grade or grades earned [excluding a W] when the course is repeated shall be used in determining his/her grade point average. The original grade shall not be deleted from the student’s record.

[Whenever a student plans to repeat a course under the D/F Repeat Rule, he/she must fill out a form in the Office of Student Services early in the semester in which the course is repeated. The D/F Repeat Rule applies only to graduation requirements and not to requirements for professional certification which may be within the province of licensure boards, external agencies, or the West Virginia Board of Education.]

Figure My GPA?

The following example is provided as a guide for calculation of the GPA:

First Semester

Course Grade Quality Pts. Credit Hrs. Total Quality Pts.
ENG 101 B 3 X 3 = 9
SOC 200 A 4 X 3 = 12
MTH 121 D 1 X 3 = 3
PE 115 B 3 X 1 = 3
UNI 101 CR 0 X (1) = 0
TOTAL 14 35

Multiply the number of Quality Points for each grade by the number of Credit Hours for that class. Divide the total number of Quality Points for the semester (35) by the total number of Credit Hours (14). This yields a GPA of 2.50 for the semester.

Second Semester: 

Course Grade Quality Pts. Credit Hrs. Total Quality Pts
BSC 105 D 1 X 4 = 4
ENG 102 C 2 X 3 = 6
HST 101 F 0 X 3 = 0
CMM 103 D 1 X 3 = 3
PHL 201 C 2 X 3 = 6
TOTAL 16 19

Multiply the number of Quality Points for each grade by the number of Credit Hours for that class. Divide the total number of Quality Points for the semester (19) by the total number of Credit Hours (16). This yields a GPA of 1.18 for the semester.

To determine this student’s cumulative GPA (the GPA for both semesters), add the total Quality Points for both semesters (54) and divide by the total Credit Hours for both semesters (30), resulting in a 1.8 GPA.

Note that this cumulative GPA is under 2.00. Since it is less than 2.00, this student has a quality point deficiency. Her college will place her on academic probation and she will remain there until future grades eliminate the deficiency—grades of A and B will do this; grades of C have no effect and grades of D or F will make the deficiency worse.

Get a “HOLD” off my account?

When attempting to register for classes, you may see a message that states “You may not add or drop classes due to holds on your record.” In this case, you should click the “Student and Financial Aid” link in MILO and choose the “Student Records” option. Here you can view academic information, including any holds that have been placed on your account.

Click the “View Holds” link and the following information is listed:
Hold Type, From Date, To Date, Amount (if the hold is payment-related), Reason, Originator, and Processes Affected. Some of the information, such as the reason for the hold, may not display. Speak to your advisor regarding the best course of action if the hold is regarding academics.

Apply For Academic Forgiveness?

The academic forgiveness policy allows forgiveness of D and F grades for purposes of calculating the Grade Point Average (GPA) required for graduation. Grades disregarded for GPA computation remain on the student’s permanent record.

This policy is designed to help students who left college with low grades. It will be implemented, provided certain conditions are satisfied, where the D and F repeat rule is not applicable:

  • The student must not have been enrolled on a full-time or part-time basis for more than 12 credit hours at any higher education institution for a period of five consecutive calendar years prior to the request for academic forgiveness.;
  • only D and F grades received prior to the five year, non enrollment period can be disregarded for GPA calculation;
  • in order to receive a degree or certificate, the student must complete at least 24 additional credit hours through actual coursework from Marshall University after the non enrollment period, earn at least a 2.0 GPA on all work attempted after the non enrollment period and satisfy all degree or certificate requirements.

This policy applies only to the calculation of the GPA required for graduation and does not apply to GPA calculation for special academic recognition (such as graduating with honors) or to requirements for professional certification which may be within the province of licensure boards, external agencies, or the West Virginia Board of Education.

Visit Forms – Registrar ( and navigate to the academic forgiveness tab. Click on the link and complete the online form to start the process.

Students should be aware that this policy is not necessarily recognized by other institutions of higher education outside the state of West Virginia.

Declare A Minor?

Marshall offers minors in a variety of subject areas. Once you have selected an area of study to minor in you should meet with an advisor from that department to ensure that you are able to meet all requirements. Include your minor on your Application for Graduation form.

Get A Medical Excuse?

Students seeking a medical excuse for missing classes need to see the Department of Student Affairs located in the Memorial Student Center Room 2W28.

Get A Course Overload?

Students seeking an overload into a course must contact the instructor of the course directly and obtain their written permission to add the class. This permission should be presented to the Registrar’s Office in Old Main to be added to the student’s schedule.

Apply For Graduation?

Students must apply for graduation within the first two weeks of the beginning of the semester or term in which they intend to finish. Payment for graduation must be submitted to the Office of the Bursar in Old Main. A copy of the receipt for the graduation fee must be submitted along with the Application for Graduation form available in the Student Services Offices.

Get More Information About The College of Health Professions?

  • Call us at 304-696-5270
  • E-mail us at
  • Come in and visit Student Services on the second floor of Prichard Hall!