The Geography Department offers a wide variety of courses in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS). Your Geography Degree will include training with GIScience technologies. In addition, we serve as the administrative home for GIScience certificates and minor for Marshall University.
Minor and Certificate Programs in GIScience
The Geography Department participates in an Undergraduate Minor in Geospatial Information Science, an Undergraduate Certificate in GIScience and two Graduate Certificates in GIScience.
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS) courses:
- GEO110 – Basic GIS (1 hr.)
- GEO111 – Air Photos and Satellite Imagery (1 hr.)
- GEO112 – Intro to GPS (1 hr.)
- GEO113 – Web GIS (1 hr.)
- GEO426/526 – Principles of GIS (4 hrs.)
- GEO429/529 – Vector Analysis (4 hrs.)
- GEO430/530 – Raster Analysis (4 hrs.)
- GEO431/531 – Principles of Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry (3 hrs.)
- GEO432/532 – Enterprise GIS (3 hrs.)
- GEO433/533 – GPS and Mobile Geospatial Technologies (3 hrs.)
- GEO440/540 – Spatial Statistics and GIS (4 hrs.)
- GEO480-483 – Special Topics (1-4 hours; can be GIS/RS; see an advisor)
- GEO485 – Independent Study (1-4 hours; can be GIS/RS; see an advisor)
- GEO490 – Internship (1-6 hours; can be GIS/RS; see an advisor)
- GEO499 – Senior Capstone Project (3 hrs.; can be GIS/RS; see an advisor)
- GEO631 – Advanced GIS Projects (3 hrs.)
- GEO690 – Internship (can be GIS/RS)
- Special Topics courses
Our latest Geospatial technology course features drones for Remote Sensing and GIS.