H-1B Employees FAQs

We are here to help you with your immigration responsibilities and explain your immigration benefits as international students and scholars. Refer to the Frequently Asked Questions links below to find more information on common questions that may arise during your stay.

For answers to many of your questions:

Dependent Questions
Travel Questions
Other Questions

H1-B Dependent Questions

I want to enroll my children in school. I need information regarding schools (elementary through high school).
If you are living in Cabell County, check this website: https://www.cabellschools.com
If you are living in Wayne County, check this website: http://boe.wayn.k12.wv.us

Can my H-4 dependent study or work?
H-4 dependents may study in the U.S., full- or part-time, but the duration of their stay is dependent on the H-1B’s period of stay. Dependents should weigh the benefits of changing their status to F-1 versus remaining in H-4 status. H-4 dependents are not subject to the F-1 requirements to pursue a full course of study, but there are NOT eligible for F-1 benefits such as on-campus employment and practical training.
H-4 non-immigrants cannot be employed in the United States or receive compensation from any U.S. source.

H1-B Travel Questions

Can I travel outside of the US and reenter in H1-B status?
H-1B workers often need to travel abroad for business or pleasure. It is not difficult to reenter the United States provided certain conditions are met:

Documentation needed when traveling abroad: H-1B workers who travel abroad should carry the original H-1B approval notice for their current employer. Although the Form I-797 approval notice states that the employer should retain the top portion of the form, there have been reports that consular and immigration inspectors often request to see the original. A current letter from the employer verifying employment, although not necessary, can also serve to facilitate reentry, as will a copy of the H-1B petition.
Visa requirements for reentry in H-1B status: An H-1B worker who is not visa exempt must have a valid H-1B visa to re-enter the United States after a trip abroad.

Exception for travel to Canada or Mexico for 30 days or less: Under the “automatic extension of validity at port-of-entry” provisions, an H-B alien may reenter the United States after a trip solely to Canada or Mexico that lasted no more than 30 days, without the need to obtain a new H-1B visa, even if the individual’s prior H-1B visa has expired.

H1-B Other Questions

Can I get a Social Security card?
A social security number may be applied for IF you have secured legal employment.

How do I get a Social Security card?
First, you must have a job or an offer of a job. You will need to bring a letter from your employer stating your job description, location of employment, and number of hours you will work per week. Your International Student Advisor will issue you a letter that you will take along with the letter from your employer, a Social Security application form (available in the Office of International Student Services), passport, visa, I-94, and I-20 to the Social Security Office. Consult an International Student Advisor for additional information.

How do I get a WV driver’s license?
H-1B workers are eligible to apply for a WV driver’s license. You will need a letter issued by an International Student Advisor stating you are currently working at Marshall University. To request a letter, you must fill out the “Action Request Form” and return to the Office of International Student Services. If you are applying for a driver’s license, you will need to take a written exam and will also need to complete a driving test.

For more information, please go to http://local.dmv.org/west-virginia/cabell-county/huntington/dmv-office-locations.php.