Financial Information

Below are financial information resources that we encourage international students to explore:

Financial Certification

To obtain an I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status), you must provide proof of financial support to show you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your program. The link below contains information about the amount of financial support students should be able to demonstrate in order to successfully meet expenses for an academic year of study. These amounts reflect the estimated average cost of tuition and fees, living expenses such as room and board if living on campus and rent, utilities, and groceries if living off campus, and miscellaneous expenses, such as international student health insurance*, books, college fees, and an estimated cost of living during breaks.

*International student health insurance is a requirement for all international students at Marshall University. More information about health insurance can be found here.

2024 -2025 Financial Certification Chart

Preparing Financial Documentation

To submit financial documentation for a new initial I-20 or DS-2019, please complete the Request for New Initial I-20 or DS-2019 and upload your financial documentation to that form. Please review our Forms & Handouts page for a complete list of additional request forms if you need to provide updated proof of financial support for another reason.

International Scholarships

Please continue to visit this page for updates to international scholarship information.

Student Financial Assistance

Please visit the Marshall University Student Financial Assistance website to explore eligibility requirements for student financial aid, types of aid available, and a Net Price Calculator used to calculate the cost of attending Marshall University.

Any questions specifically related to Marshall University scholarships, loans, and other forms of financial assistance can be submitted to Student Financial Assistance at

Graduate Assistantships

If you are a graduate student, you may qualify for a graduate assistantship. According to the Graduate College website, “graduate assistantships (GA) are available in teaching, research, clinical practice, or faculty support. A Graduate assistantship can provide you valuable work experience related to your graduate studies and reduce the overall cost of your education.”

For more information about graduate assistantships, please see the Graduate Assistantship Overview page.

Contact Us

The Office of International Student Services staff is also available to help with any additional immigration-related issues you may have.  Contact us via email to schedule an appointment.

Office of International Student Services
Old Main Room 321
Phone: 304-696-6265


Recent Posts

Be Cautious of Scams!

If you receive a suspicious email or phone call, please contact our office immediately before taking further action. To learn more about how to protect yourself from common scams, click on the bolded text for information from Study in the States and USCIS.


Sorry. This form is no longer accepting new submissions.