Parent Resources


The Office of Student Conduct works closely with students to help them understand their rights and responsibilities as a student at Marshall University. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) establishes the legal parameters governing access to and release of student educational records. Our office can answer general questions about university procedures, student rights and responsibilities, and other related questions. However, we may not discuss your student’s individual educational record without an Authorization to Release Information, except under limited exceptions including Parent Notification.

Parent Notification

If a student accepts responsibility, or is found responsible for violating a Standard of Conduct involving drugs or alcohol, and that student is under twenty-one years of age, West Virginia state law requires the University to inform the parent/guardian of that student of the violation. Parent Notification is completed through postal mail, and is sent to the parent/guardian address on file with the Marshall University