Freshmen and Sophomores have mandatory advising each semester. An advising hold placed on your record will prevent you from registering for classes. You must speak with an academic advisor before pre-registration to have your advising hold removed. The best time to see an advisor is before the pre-registration rush.
Juniors have mandatory junior degree evaluation the semester they reach your 60+ credit hours. Juniors not meeting with their academic advisor will have a hold placed on their record preventing them from pre-registering for the next semester’s classes.
Seniors have mandatory senior degree evaluation the semester they reach your 90+ credit hours.
|Freshman||0 to 29 overall credit hours|
|Sophomore||30 to 59 overall credit hours|
|Junior||60 to 89 overall credit hours|
|Senior||90+ overall credit hours|
Note: Transfer and AP credit are included in your overall hours.
Academic Advisors assist you in:
- selecting courses that meet your major and career goals as well as keeping you on track for graduation,
- understanding the academic requirements by the College of Sciences and Marshall University, and
- finding resources to help you compose a semester schedule.
Academic Advisors do not:
- select specific times or instructors of courses, and
- register you for classes unless you are on Academic Probation or have a course overload.