Approval of International Agreements
When faculty, staff, or departments wish to develop a partnership with an international institution, an agreement must be approved by the Office of International Student Services, the Office of Admissions, Academic Affairs, and the Office of the President. Therefore, it is important to begin the process by meeting with the Office of International Student Services to ensure that all factors are considered in order to be considered for University approval.
Additionally, it is required to use only the agreement templates provided by the Office of International Student Services. Neglecting to collaborate with the Office of International Student Services or utilize a University-approved agreement template will result in significant delays to the development and ultimate approval of an agreement.
The Process of Developing an Agreement
- Meet with the Office of International Student Services – In order to begin the process, email the Office of International Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org in order to arrange an appointment. At the appointment, be prepared to discuss the purpose and objectives of the intended agreement. We will assist with determining the type of agreement and provide any feedback to consider during the development process. It is crucial that all international agreements are developed with the assistance of International Student Services to ensure the terms of the agreement align with regulations and institutional policies.
- Work with the partner institution – Depending on the objectives of the collaboration, work with the partner institution to determine the specifics of the agreement, including objectives, necessary resources, etc. It is important to keep in mind that certain components of the agreement may require additional approvals and/or collaboration with other departments.
- Submit the International Agreement Proposal Form to the Office of International Student Services – The timeline for review of international agreement proposals may vary, depending on the complexity of the proposed agreement. The Office of International Student Services will conduct the initial review. Edits or changes may be required and will be outlined in an email.
- Review and Approval from all necessary departments – Once any and all changes have been made, the Office of International Student Services will provide a draft agreement for review. The draft agreement will then be submitted to the Dean of Admissions and Executive Director of Enrollment Services for review and approval. Once approved by Admissions, the agreement will be submitted to Academic Affairs and the Office of the President for approval and signatures.
- Send approved agreement to partner institution for signature – Once the agreement has been approved and routed for signature, it may then be submitted to the partner institution for signature. Two copies of the agreement should be shipped to the partner school for signature with instructions to return one of the originals back to Marshall University to be retained in Academic Affairs and the Office of the General Counsel.
Types of International Agreements
- Institutional Collaboration Agreement
- Activity Agreement
- Articulation Agreement
- Exchange Agreement
- Transfer Agreement