1.Review the ELI to Pathway Prezi
You may review the ELI to Pathway Prezi online at this link.
2. Attend the ELI Progression Workshop
For the fall 2021 semester, the ELI Progression Workshop will be held at the following date, time, and location:
DATE: Wednesday, November 3, 2021
LOCATION: Virtual Teams Meeting
3. Prepare Your Financial Documentation
To receive your new I-20 after successfully completing the English Language Institute, you must provide updated financial documentation. Financial documentation must be no older than 6 months. Proof of financial support is required for each subsequent program. Multiple sources of funding are acceptable, but financial documentation must be provided for each source of funding. Be advised that Designated School Officials in the Office of International Student Services reserve the right to reject submitted financial documentation or request additional information, proof, or financial documentation on a case-by-case basis.
Types of Financial Documentation
On the bottom of the Affidavit of Support is a Bank Certification Section. The completed Affidavit of Support, including Bank Certification Section (with bank seal), is acceptable in lieu of a bank statement. Submitting the Affidavit of Support is the best and preferred way to show proof of financial support.
- If funding is being provided by a person other than you, be sure to email or fax a blank Affidavit of Support to your sponsor for them to complete and have certified by their bank.
- If you are using personal funds, complete the Statement Section and take to your bank in the US to be certified.
Proof of Financial Support Amounts
|Program||Minimum Funding Amount|
|Undergraduate – One year||$38,624|
|Graduate – One year||$40,452|
|Spouse – One year||$8,020|
|Child – One year||$4,870 per child|
4. Submit the Financial Certification Form
If you are completing the financial certification form on your own, be sure that for “Select the reason you are submitting proof of financial support” you choose “I am in my final term of ELI and expect to begin Pathway next semester”.Complete the Financial Certification
5. Traveling Internationally Before Pathway? Submit a Travel Signature Request Form
If you plan to travel outside the United States before starting Pathway, be sure to let the Office of International Student Services know your travel plans. To do this, you must submit a Request for a Travel Signature. Your Travel Signature Request will remain pending until your new I-20 is issued.
If you will be traveling outside of the United States or if you are currently outside of the United States, please carefully review the International Travel Information page.
If you are registered for an ISS Progression Workshop, we will assist you with submitting a Request for a Travel Signature during the workshop.
Frequently Asked Questions about Travel Before Pathway
- Passport valid for 6 months following date of entry
- Valid F-1 visa
- Current I-20
- Valid travel signature from a Designated School Official (valid for one year while enrolled)
- Copy of financial documentation (strongly recommended)
- Copy of course schedule (not required but recommended)
6. Receive your new I-20
ISS typically begins issuing new I-20’s about one week after the end of the semester. If your financial documents are approved for pathway and you meet all progression requirements, you will receive an email notifying you that your new I-20 is ready for pick-up. If you are not able to pick-up your I-20 at the Welcome Center, you can see alternative delivery options at Document Pick-Up and Delivery.
Frequently Asked Questions About Receiving the I-20
- Sufficient financial documentation, submitted online through the Financial Certification Form. The Financial Certification Form should indicate that you are progressing from ELI to Pathway.
- No other forms are needed for ISS to update your I-20. ELI advisors will provide us with confirmation that students have progressed to their Pathway program.
- Pick-up during regular business hours at the front desk of the Welcome Center
- Ask a friend or family member to pick-up your I-20 for you (notarized MU FERPA release form required)
- Receive your I-20 via regular post mail
- Pay for shipping through UEMS eShipGlobal
Check out Document Pick-Up & Delivery for more information.