Pathway to Marshall

1. Review the ISS Matriculation Prezi

You may view the ISS Matriculation Prezi online at this link.

2. Attend the Matriculation Workshop

For the fall 2021 semester, the Matriculation Workshop will be held at the following date, time, and location:

DATE: Wednesday, November 3, 2021

TIME: 1:00pm

LOCATION: Virtual Teams Meeting

3. Complete the Pathway to Marshall Intercollege Transfer Form

The Pathway to Marshall Intercollege Transfer Form will confirm that you are ready to complete your Pathway program. You may submit the Pathway to Marshall Intercollege Transfer Form online at this link.

4. Prepare your financial documentation

In order to update your I-20 after successfully completing Pathway, you must provide updated financial documentation. Financial documentation must be no older than 6 months. Proof of financial support is required for each subsequent program. Multiple sources of funding are generally acceptable, but financial documentation must be provided for each source of funding. Be advised that Designated School Officials in the Office of International Student Services reserve the right to reject submitted financial documentation or request additional information, proof, or financial documentation on a case-by-case basis.

Proof of Financial Support Amounts

Program Minimum Funding Amount
Undergraduate  – One year $38,624
Graduate – One year $40,452
Dependent Funding
Spouse – One year $8,020
Child – One year $4,870 per child

Types of Financial Documents

The Affidavit of Support (Statement Section only) is required if funding is being provided by a family or friend.

On the bottom of the Affidavit of Support is a Bank Certification Section. The completed Affidavit of Support, including Bank Certification Section (with bank seal), is acceptable in lieu of a bank statement. Submitting the Affidavit of Support is the best and preferred way to show proof of financial support.

  • If funding is being provided by a person other than you, be sure to email or fax a blank Affidavit of Support to your sponsor for them to complete and have certified by their bank.
  • If you are using personal funds, complete the Statement Section and take to your bank in the US to be certified.
Get the Affidavit of Support
If you are self-funded or receiving funding from a person other than yourself AND do not wish to complete the Affidavit of Support (above), then a bank statement is required to show proof of financial support. Please remember that bank statements must be no older than 6 months and show a current and available balance equal to or greater than the amount required for your new program (see chart about for amounts).
If you are using funds from a loan to fund your studies, you will need to obtain an updated loan letter from your financial institution. Loan letters must be dated within the previous 6 months.
If you are awarded a scholarship or assistantship, an award letter must be provided that indicates the amount of the award.
If you are receiving a scholarship or sponsorship from the government in your home country, you will need to provide an updated Financial Guarantee as proof of financial support.

5. Complete the Financial Certification and Submit Financial Documentation

Student Guide to Submitting Financial Documentation

Submit financial documentation on your own:

Complete the Financial Certification

If you are completing the financial certification form on your own, be sure that for “Select the reason you are submitting proof of financial support” you choose “I am in my final term of Pathway and expect to matriculate to Marshall next semester.”

6. Take care of any outstanding holds on your account

Frequently Asked Questions about Holds

When you have a hold, you can stay enrolled in your current classes, but you cannot register for any classes next semester.
  • Your holds are on your MyMU Account.
  • Go to: Student Self-Service >> Registration >> Check Registration Status >> Select up-coming term
  • You should take care of your holds as soon as possible!
  • All holds must be resolved before you can register. Classes fill up and you may not get in to your preferred section, time, or even class if you are late to register.

Common Types of Holds During Matriculation

Immigration Obligation (IO)

The Office of International Student Services may apply an Immigration Obligation hold for different reasons during the matriculation process. The reason is listed in the description of the hold.

Reason for Hold Actions to Take Person / Office to Contact
ICT Financial Docs
  1. Prepare sufficient financial documentation
  2. Complete the ICT Form and upload financial documentation. To do that, either:
    1. Register for an ISS Matriculation Workshop or
    2. Complete the ICT Form online
Office of International Student Services
Old Main 321
Immigration Session Contact ISS to schedule an individual immigration session Office of International Student Services
Welcome Center
Update Address Submit your current address information online at: Office of International Student Services
Old Main 321

Admission Obligation (AD)

Reason for Hold Actions to Take Person / Office to Contact
Missing Measles, Mumps, & Rubella (MMR) Immunization Records
  1. Obtain a copy of your immunization records (with English translation)
  2. Submit to International Admissions
International Admissions, Tabby Puckett,

International Student Insurance (IN)

Reason for Hold Action to Take Person / Office to Contact
Proof of health insurance needed for upcoming term
  • If you are attending an ISS Matriculation Workshop, ISS will walk through the process of purchasing insurance online.
  • If you are not attending an ISS Matriculation Workshop, you will need to purchase health insurance online through Insurance For Students. For more information, visit ISS Health Insurance Information.
Office of International Student Services
Old Main 321

Advisor Hold

Reason for Hold Action to Take Person / Office to Contact
Required Advisor Meeting Contact your academic advisor to schedule an advising meeting. Advisor information is listed in MyMU

Financial Obligation

Reason for Hold Action to Take Person / Office to Contact
Outstanding account balance Resolve any outstanding balance with the Office of the Bursar Bursar’s Office
Old Main, Room 101

Social Obligation

Reason for Hold Action to Take Person / Office to Contact
Required Social Obligation Complete your sanction from the Office of Student Conduct Office of Student Conduct
Memorial Student Center, 2nd Floor


7. Let ISS know if you plan to travel outside the US between semesters

If you plan to travel outside the United States after matriculating to Marshall, be sure to let the Office of International Student Services know your travel plans. To do this, you must submit a Request for a Travel Signature. Your Travel Signature Request will remain pending until your new I-20 is issued.

If you will be traveling outside of the United States or if you are currently outside of the United States, please carefully review the International Travel Information page.

If you are registered for an ISS Matriculation Workshop, we will assist you with submitting a Request for a Travel Signature during the workshop.

Take me to the Request for a Travel Signature

Frequently Asked Questions About Travel During Matriculation

No, you do not need a travel signature to travel in the United States. In fact, you may travel anywhere in the United States before you receive your new I-20 and you are not required to inform ISS of your travel plans within the United States.
No. When you reenter the United States, you must provide accurate and correct information to the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer. This includes your new I-20 for your new program.
You can choose to leave the United States before receiving your I-20, but we do not recommend it. You will need to pay for shipping through UEMS eShipGlobal in order to receive your I-20 while you are abroad.
Students who are currently enrolled and/or intend to enroll for the upcoming semester will need the following documents to reenter the U.S.:

  • Passport valid for 6 months following date of entry
  • Valid F-1 visa
  • Current I-20
  • Valid travel signature from a Designated School Official (valid for one year while enrolled)
  • Copy of financial documentation (strongly recommended)
  • Copy of course schedule (not required but recommended)
Yes. Since you will be starting a new program, you will need a new travel signature on the new I-20.

8. Receive Your New I-20

ISS typically begins issuing new I-20’s about one week after the end of the semester.  If your financial documents are approved for pathway and you meet all progression requirements, you will receive an email notifying you that your new I-20 is ready for pick-up.  If you are not able to pick-up your I-20 at the Welcome Center, you can see alternative delivery options at  Document Pick-Up and Delivery.

Frequently Asked Questions About Receiving the I-20

In order to receive your new I-20, you must submit:

  • All admission-related documents to the International Admissions Manager (resolve any Pathway Graduate or Undergraduate Admissions holds)
  • Inter-College Transfer Form
  • Upload sufficient financial documentation (resolve Immigration Obligation hold for ICT Financial Docs)
The Office of International Student Services typically begins issuing new I-20s 1 week after grades are posted. You will receive email notification to your MU email once the I-20 is ready.
There are several ways to receive your new I-20:

  • Pick-up during regular business hours at the front desk of the Welcome Center
  • Ask a friend or family member to pick-up your I-20 for you (notarized MU FERPA release form required)
  • Receive your I-20 via regular post mail
  • Pay for shipping through UEMS eShipGlobal

UEMS eShipGlobal Instructions
Check out Document Pick-Up & Delivery for more information.

Your I-20 is your Certificate of Eligibility and must remain accurate and up-to-date at all times. Your Pathway I-20 shows your education level of Pathway and the duration of Pathway. Since you will be matriculating and starting your new program, you will need your I-20 to reflect your new program.
No. Proof of health insurance is NOT required to receive your I-20. However, proof of health insurance IS REQUIRED to lift the hold on your MyMU and register for classes.
No, you can register for classes before or after you receive your I-20. Be aware of registration deadlines.

Recent Posts

Be Cautious of Scams!

If you receive a suspicious email or phone call, please contact our office immediately before taking further action. To learn more about how to protect yourself from common scams, click on the bolded text for information from Study in the States and USCIS.


Sorry. This form is no longer accepting new submissions.