An Invitation From the Dean
At the Honors College of Marshall University, we recognize that education is not merely about acquiring knowledge but nurturing a generation of thinkers and doers capable of embracing a world full of shifting opportunities and challenges. Your collaboration in this noble pursuit is not just welcome but vital. We invite you to work with us in support of our mission.
As stated by the Marshall University Foundation, our institution is state-assisted, not state-funded. With declining government support for higher education, your generosity helps preserve Marshall’s reputation as one of the most distinctive and affordable public universities in the nation.
Here’s how your donations can directly influence our students and community:
- Supporting Excellence: In our Honors College, the pursuit of academic excellence is intertwined with the fostering of integrity, responsibility, and respect for diverse perspectives. Contributions towards scholarships and outreach will ensure that we continue to draw students from varied socioeconomic, cultural, and geographical backgrounds. This investment enhances not only the social and intellectual richness of our campus but the depth of our global understanding.
- Enhancing Curriculum and Learning Opportunities: Imagine our students working on technologies or public service projects that directly benefit local communities. Your funds could catalyze these initiatives, aligning education with the real-world needs of modern industries and societal challenges.
- Facilitating Research and Creative Endeavors: Research grants and fellowships funded by your generosity enable students to pursue cutting-edge research or artistic pursuits, preparing them for leadership roles and contributing to their respective fields.
- Promoting Community Engagement and Collaborative Learning: We offer opportunities for students to engage in projects that honor our shared values of family, community, and service to others. Your support can facilitate partnerships that allow students to engage in projects directly benefiting populations in the Appalachian region. The experience nurtures their sense of civic responsibility and equips them with practical skills.
- Enabling Global Exposure: Funds for study-abroad programs and international collaborations open doors for our students to engage with diverse cultures, study global trends, and participate in international projects. This global exposure enriches their perspective and prepares them for an interconnected world.
Your investment represents a faith in a future where the Honors College transcends the classroom’s confines to actively cultivate positive change in the communities of which we are a part. Join us in the active Herd community and explore how your support can impact our students’ lives and contribute to the greater good. As the Marshall University Foundation is a federally recognized 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, gifts to the Honors College are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
With sincere appreciation,
Dr. Brian A. Hoey, Dean
Annual Fund Giving
Simply visit the Foundation’s convenient donation portal for gifts to the Honors College. Make sure that you see the “Fund Designation” indicating “Honors College Annual Fund.”
Annual Fund giving is essential to helping us achieve our mission as these funds permit us to most flexibly support our students as their needs change over time. Most of our funds are currently restricted in a wide variety of ways–such as by the particular characteristics of the student (e.g., only students with a particular high school GPA, standardized test score, or residency) or the kind of support we can provide (e.g., tuition only). Annual Fund giving allows us to support any student in the college who needs it for such things as expenses to attend academic conferences in their major or for materials necessary to engage in research or creative projects.Donate to our Mission
If mailing a check to the Foundation, please be sure to include “Honors College Annual Fund” on the memo line. Checks can be made payable to:
Marshall University Foundation, Inc.
519 John Marshall Dr.
Huntington, WV 25703
Interested in Giving Differently?
We encourage you to demonstrate your leadership and support for honors education by considering endowing operational funds for the college. With a stable financial foundation, the Honors College can not only effectively respond to immediate needs but also anticipate and plan for future challenges and opportunities. An operational endowment would empower us to invest in long-term initiatives, whether that’s pioneering new interdisciplinary collaborations on campus, establishing partnerships for community-based learning, or creating mentorship programs spanning multiple years. In essence, it allows us to think and act with a vision that extends beyond the academic year, shaping the Honors College at Marshall University into a leader in honors education for decades to come.
If you would like to create a new fund or make a gift to an established, named fund to benefit the work of the college, please contact the Marshall University Foundation.