In today’s Honors College at Marshall University, outstanding and aspirational undergraduates from each of the university’s degree-granting colleges participate in curricular and co-curricular opportunities designed to help them explore varied areas of interest, work collaboratively across differences, and develop as creative problem solvers with global perspectives who possess sought-after social and intellectual skills. As an essential part of a public university, it is the responsibility of the Honors College to help bring together students to live and work together from diverse backgrounds who variously identify, believe, and behave differently and hold wide-ranging interests. We know that broadly defined and realized diversity on campus provides the greatest potential for transformative educational opportunities that allow students to learn deeply about themselves and others while becoming effective and empathetic citizens of the world who are well-positioned to imagine and help shape the kind of world in which they want to live.
Following a year of work through two different committees, the Honors College released a Strategic Plan for a five year period beginning in Fall 2023. Below are highlights of our plan.
- Inclusive Excellence: Emphasizing the rich tapestry of our learning community, the Honors College is committed to recruiting and retaining students from diverse backgrounds, interests, and perspectives. By investing in scholarships and personalized support programs, we are opening doors to varied experiences and preparing students to be empathetic and effective global citizens.
- Curriculum Enhancement: With an eye toward long-term success, our plan seeks to create a dynamic, responsive curriculum that fosters creativity, collaboration, and problem-solving. We are developing innovative courses and projects such as TEDxMarshallU that align with modern industry and societal needs.
- Community Engagement: Our connection with the community is not just an aspiration but a lived reality. From engaging in economic development projects in Appalachia to educational programs for underserved populations, our focus on honorable action for the greater good allows the college to contribute meaningfully to building a stronger, more resilient region.
- Resource Allocation: Recognizing the importance of material and human resources, we are committed to effective management that ensures the Honors College can function as an equal partner within the university.
- Assessment and Evaluation: Ongoing and thoughtful assessment of our programs and initiatives helps us understand our impact and demonstrate the enduring value of honors education. Through regular evaluations, surveys, and collaborations with academic partners, we continually refine our strategies to align with our students’ needs and institutional goals.
- Alignment with Institutional Priorities: Ensuring the Honors College’s strategic plan aligns with Marshall University’s broader mission is essential. Through collaborative dialogues with other departments and stakeholders, our initiatives are designed to not only support but enhance the overall excellence of the university.
We invite you to explore our Strategic Plan in its entirety. View and download the plan on Marshall Digital Scholar.