Flexible Spending Account

A Flexible Spending Account (FSA) lets you pay for eligible expenses with tax-free money. You contribute to an FSA with pretax money from your paycheck. This, in turn, may help lower your taxable income. There are two types of FSAs – Healthcare FSA and Dependent Care FSA.

  • Healthcare FSA – A Healthcare FSA is used to pay for eligible medical expenses which are not covered by your insurance or other plan. These expenses can be incurred by you, your spouse, a qualifying child or relative. Your full annual contribution amount is available at the beginning of the plan year, so you don’t have to wait for the money to accumulate.
  • Dependent Care FSA – The Dependent Care FSA is a great way to pay for eligible dependent care expenses such as before and after school care, day time baby-sitting fees, elder care services, nursery and preschool costs. Eligible dependents include your qualifying child up to age 13, spouse and/or relative. You can request reimbursement from your Dependent Care FSA after your dependent receives day care services. Unlike the Healthcare FSA, your full annual contribution is not available at the beginning of the plan year. You can only get reimbursed up tothe amount that is available in your account at that time.

If you enroll in a Health Savings account, you cannot enroll in a Health Care Flexible Spending Account, but may enroll in a Limited Health Care Spending Account.

Annual Contributions

  • Annual Contribution Limits For Healthcare FSA:
    • Minimum Annual Contribution: $150
    • Maximum Annual Contribution: $2750*
  • For Dependent Care FSA:
    • Minimum Annual Contribution: $150
    • The maximum contribution depends on your tax filing status.
    • If you are married and filing separately, your maximum annual contribution is $2,500*.
    • If you are single and head of household, your maximum annual contribution is $2500*.
    • If you are married and filing jointly, your maximum annual contribution is $5,000*.
    • If either you or your spouse earn less than $5,000* a year, your maximum annual contribution is equal to the lower of the two incomes.
    • If your spouse is a full-time student or incapable of self-care, your maximum annual contribution is $3,000* a year for one dependent and $5,000 a year for two or more dependents.

Use your PayFlex Card, your Account Debit Card

The PayFlex debit card is a convenient way to pay for eligible Healthcare expenses. The card knows when the expense is eligible and whether you have funds available. When you use the card, save your Explanation of Benefits, itemized statements and detailed receipts. There may be times when PayFlex asks you to provide documentation to verify you used your card for an eligible expense. If you’re a new Healthcare FSA member, you’ll automatically receive one card in the mail before the beginning of the plan year. The card is not available for the dependent care FSA. Additional cards may be requested by calling the PayFlex customer service at 1-844-PAYFLEX.

Claims with PayFlex

Filing a Claim with PayFlex
How to Register Online
How to Enroll
Enrollment Options
Enroll in Direct Deposit