PEIA sponsors this Mountaineer Flexible Benefits as a vehicle to provide additional benefits to eligible state employees and a tax savings to the participating employees and the state. The Plan qualifies as a Cafeteria Plan authorized by Section 125 of the Internal Revenue Code. Fringe Benefits Management Company is the third party administrator under PEIA.
There will be NO cards issued for any of these plans. Coverage begins the first day of the month after enrollment. Premiums are paid by employee with pre-tax dollars. Open enrollment for current employees is held during April of each year, with changes becoming effective July 1; this also includes cancellation of plan participation unless a qualifying event occurs at another time of the year. For resources such as Reference Guides, Enrollment Form, and Change of Address form, go to https://peia.wv.gov/Forms-Downloads/Pages/Mountaineer-Flexible-Benefits.aspx
Mountaineer Flexible Benefits makes available to benefits-eligible employees:
- Dental – Marshall University provides dental insurance through Delta Dental. As the nation’s leading provider of dental insurance, they make it easy to protect your smile and keep it healthy, with the largest network of dentists nationwide, quick answers and personalized service.
- Disability – Marshall University employees are offered Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance through the Standard and FBMC. It offers benefits-eligible employees the opportunity to have income replacement protection in the event of an accident or illness which results in the loss of pay.
- Flexible Spending Accounts – A Flexible Spending Account (FSA) lets you pay for eligible expenses with tax-free money. You contribute to an FSA with pretax money from your paycheck. This, in turn, may help lower your taxable income. There are two types of FSAs – Healthcare FSA and Dependent Care FSA.
- Health Savings Accounts – Providing economical Healthcare while costs are rising is a major issue. To deal with this issue and help you plan for future health expenses, you will have the choice of enrolling in a Health Savings Account (HSA). This option allows you and your family to take greater responsibility for your medical care to reduce your insurance premiums and save money for future health expenses.
- Legal – Did you ever wish you could pick up the phone and call a lawyer for some quick advice? Marshall University and Retirees are offered a Group Legal Plan. This is a payroll deductible, post-tax benefit.
- Vision – There are two plans that are available to employees provided by Metlife, Full Service Plan and Exam Plus.