The MBA degree program from Marshall University will help prepare you for career achievement and advancement. With an emphasis placed on applying theory into real-world practice, our graduates will be able to meet current needs and changing demands of the global market place. The program will help polish your management, critical thinking, communication, and problem solving skills. The faculty of our MBA program is composed of professors with educational backgrounds and experience in the functional fields of business administration, accounting, finance, management, marketing, economics, law, MIS, communications, and organizational behavior. The rigorous nature of the MBA program requires thorough understanding of the basics of business fundamentals. If your undergraduate degree is not in business, there may be some additional foundations courses required.
Classes for the MBA program are offered in the evenings in Huntington or Online, with a few course available in South Charleston.
Applicants should follow the admissions process described in this catalog or at the Graduate Admissions website.
Applicants must submit a copy of their resume, and must either have:
- An undergraduate degree in business from a regionally accredited institution with an undergraduate Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all previously completed undergraduate coursework.
- An undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all previously completed undergraduate university work, and, in addition to the resume, 2 letters of recommendations. Applicant may also submit additional documents such as statement of purpose, test scores, etc.
- Have successfully completed the undergraduate prerequisite business courses with a 3.0 or higher.
- Have a doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution.
Conditional Admission can be granted for one term if the applicant meets all program requirements for admission except they have not officially graduated with their bachelor’s degree. Once the degree is granted the applicant would need to resubmit their official transcripts for full admission.
Note: Applicants may be asked to submit additional material if needed before an admission decision is made. Generally, more students apply to the M.B.A. program than are accepted each year; therefore, the selection process is competitive.
Building up on the knowledge gained in the core curriculum, students can customize and focus their learning experience to best fit their individual skills and goals.
Marshall University MBA students can specialize in an "Concentrations" by taking two electives in one functional area. Concentrations include:
- Accounting (Available on campus)
- Finance (Available on campus only)
- Healthcare Administration (Available on campus only)
- Human Resource Management (Available on campus only)
- Management (Available on campus and online)
- Marketing (Available on campus only)
- General MBA (for students who choose not to specialize and take electives from each area; available on campus and online)
- Supply Chain Management (Available on campus only)
- Military Management (Available online only)
Curriculum for Program
- ECN 250 Principles of Microeconomics
- ACC 215 Accounting Principles
- MGT 218 Business Statistics
- MKT 340 Principles of Marketing
- FIN 323 Principles of Finance
Master of Business Administration
|COURSE NO.||HRS.||COURSE TITLE (PREREQUISITE)|
|MGT 601||3||Quantitative Methods for Business (PR: MGT 218/MBA Admission)|
|ACC 613||3||Profit Planning and Controls (PR: ACC 215/MBA Admission or Academic Advisor Permission)|
|FIN 620||3||Financial management (PR: FIN 323, MGT 601)|
|ECN 630||3||Managerial Economics (PR: ECN 250/MBA Admission)|
|MGT 672||3||Organizational Behavior (PR: GSM Admission)|
|MGT 674||3||Production/Operations Management (PR: MGT 601/Permission of GSM Academic Advisor)|
|MIS 678||3||Management Information Systems (PR: GSM Admission)|
|MKT 682||3||Advanced Marketing Management (PR: MKT 340/MBA Admission)|
|MGT 699**||3||Business Policy & Strategy (PR: Permission of GSM Academic Advisor)|
* For Concentration, must complete at least two electives in Accounting, Management, Marketing, Finance, HCA, HRM, or Supply Chain Management
Download the MBA Plan of Study PDF
Projected job market data for General and Operations Managers: https://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/11-1021.00